Collision: Whose fault is it?

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    CYPER wrote: »
    Car with dascam in the rightmost lane. Van on the left of the car.
    Van cuts car off

https://youtu.be/DfvMfe9LVGI

On the same note will this just polish off? The tyre of the van hit the bumper. It mostly looks like rubber resedue?

WJU1a5c_d.jpg

OP, to me it looks like you are in the wrong, in effect you are too close to the van whilst in motion, can you upload a close up of the damage? As on a positive note it looks like it can be machine polished out.
  • Its a case weere both at fault. However car should really have realised that the van had to miss their turn off and would not be vacating the space the car drove into.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Car - they could have avoided the accident
  • Tom99 wrote: »
    Car - they could have avoided the accident
    Surely the van driver could have avoided it as well by keeping more to the left.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Surely the van driver could have avoided it as well by keeping more to the left.

Sort of yes, but the car was just to close to the rear not leaving much room for any oddities, and the driver of the car has the advantage of the better view ahead.
    If it was a MK7 Golf, the too close indicator would have been on for the duration of the video (perhaps may have even brought the vehicle to a stop avoiding the collision).
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    No idea who's fault, but I liked the nice, chilled music he's playing in the car!
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Van driver goes right from the left lane, it's as simple as that. The signage and road markings are perfectly clear, if he didn't know where he was going he should have been paying extra attention.

Me? I'd have been leaning on the horn and backing off as soon as he got past 12'oclock.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • You certainly were not paying attention.
    That wont help.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Strider590 wrote: »
    Van driver goes right from the left lane, it's as simple as that. The signage and road markings are perfectly clear, if he didn't know where he was going he should have been paying extra attention.

Me? I'd have been leaning on the horn and backing off as soon as he got past 12'oclock.

So committing an offence then?
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Driving without due care and attention i.e careless driving - on the part of the car driver.

He/she completely ignored the right hand indicator on the van and turned into the lane occupied by the van.

The fact that the van probably shouldn't have been there in the first place is irrelevant.

Suppose there is a cow in your path - do you drive into it because it ought not to have been there?

Three points and fine for the car driver.

As for the tyre mark on the bumper - I would recommend using Autoglym Super Resin Polish.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure