Solar ... In the news

Comments

• lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,440
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    Given it has a German name I assumed it was originally a German manufactured device.
    I always imagined it was an amalgam of 'Immersion' and 'Sun'.

Is it actually a German name?
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,713
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    lstar337 wrote: »
    I always imagined it was an amalgam of 'Immersion' and 'Sun'.

Is it actually a German name?

hi. they are a kent based company, proudly declaring 'made in britain' and yes, it is of course immersion and sun.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Forumite
    NigeWick wrote: »
    I believe the UK has more than enough solar and wind potential, when combined with batteries, to make us completely electricity independent using just renewables.

hiya nige, the government seems to have waken up to the need for storage, so hopefully they will be making moves to further such decisions as you are suggesting given the obvious environmental benefits of offsetting high carbon evening demand/generation peaks.

also, in case you are wondering, i suspect most of us are aware that you are environmentally motivated, and also don't worry about fit payments, they have nothing to do with storage, nor export, metered or not. to suggest otherwise is total garbage.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Forumite
    zeupater wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm sitting here at the moment and our PV is generating 3.24kW of which 480W is powering the house (laptop, TV etc) as well as providing 1.9kW.t of space heating and running a solar thermal pump currently dumping 1kW.t to the DHW ... and we're still exporting 85% of what's being produced ...

HTH
    Z

hiya z, if my solaredge monitoring is correct [and it does claim i imported 81.15kwh in august againt my import mter reading of 82], then my august export was just shy of 83pc.

i must do better ..... take that as you may .... ;)

• Martyn1981
    Forumite
    good news - the new mip has received virtually no support from eu member states.

bad news - they are doing it anyway, so pv panel prices are now artificially about 30pc higher, and some businesses are now, naturally, putting off installs for 2yrs in anticipation of the prices finally falling.

MIP replacement approved
    The European Commission has approved replacing the current Minimum Import Price (MIP) for module imports from China with a new reduced price on a sliding scale mechanism, despite receiving almost negligible support from member states.

The price of the original proposal had been lowered by two cents at the start of the week in response to concerns expressed by the industry, but the new lower price would still keep affected solar panels roughly 30% higher than the current market price, according to Dr Christian Westermeier, president of trade group SolarPower Europe.

Such a mismatch will continue fears of European prices being artificially locked in and leaving the downstream market at a disadvantage, with the potential for lengthy project delays. On the other hand European PV manufacturers worry that a price reduction will harm jobs in the sector.

Put to a vote, the new system received support from just one member state, with 14 members abstaining and 13 members opposing. Due to a technicality the proposal was still passed.

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,353
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    good news - the new mip has received virtually no support from eu member states.

bad news - they are doing it anyway, so pv panel prices are now artificially about 30pc higher, and some businesses are now, naturally, putting off installs for 2yrs in anticipation of the prices finally falling.

MIP replacement approved
    Hi

Alternative title ... German lobbying tail wags EU consumer dog. :eek::cool:

(Rude alternatives involving threaded metal are available too .. ;))

Anyway, whilst on the subject of PV & Germany ... have a look at this monstrosity ... Solar Powered RV ... yes, but, no, but ... no thanks! ... but feel free to place your order! :D

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Forumite
    zeupater wrote: »
    Anyway, whilst on the subject of PV & Germany ... have a look at this monstrosity ... Solar Powered RV ... yes, but, no, but ... no thanks! ... but feel free to place your order! :D

so, a pv rv, interesting. so ugly i kind of like it, and an interesting idea, though i'm not sur about the claim that the 3kwp will keep you going.

if an ev can do about 4 miles per kwh, then 3kwh would allow you to drive at 12mph. assuming half the generation, as not all panels in the sun, and half the vehicular efficiency due to weight and aerodynamics, that means you could keep on going at 3mph, which would be a pleasant pace to take in the stunning german countryside i suppose.

expect lots of on-site arguments concerning the deployment of the side mounted sun-shades!

cant help thinking it would be cheaper to build a 3kwp grid-tied install for home/environment, then plug in to mains on site, ideally also sourcing pv.

• EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,230
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    so, a pv rv, interesting. so ugly i kind of like it, and an interesting idea, though i'm not sur about the claim that the 3kwp will keep you going.

if an ev can do about 4 miles per kwh, then 3kwh would allow you to drive at 12mph. assuming half the generation, as not all panels in the sun, and half the vehicular efficiency due to weight and aerodynamics, that means you could keep on going at 3mph, which would be a pleasant pace to take in the stunning german countryside i suppose.

expect lots of on-site arguments concerning the deployment of the side mounted sun-shades!

cant help thinking it would be cheaper to build a 3kwp grid-tied install for home/environment, then plug in to mains on site, ideally also sourcing pv.
    I think the real point is that it would be charging up whilst parked (except at night of course) so even if you used a site without mains electricity you could leave site with more in the batteries than when you arrived.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Martyn1981
    Forumite
    EricMears wrote: »
    I think the real point is that it would be charging up whilst parked (except at night of course) so even if you used a site without mains electricity you could leave site with more in the batteries than when you arrived.

yep, which was why i specifically referred to the 'keep going' issue.
    Those babies can make up to 3,000 watts of electricity for its 228-Ah battery. In other words, you’re all good to just keep on going.

• Martyn1981
    Forumite
    another small step fiorward for perovskite:

Scientists use light & humidity to ‘heal’ perovskite defects
    “It’s counter-intuitive, but applying humidity and light makes perovskite solar cells more luminescent, a property which is extremely important if you want efficient solar cells,” continues Stranks. “We’ve seen an increase in luminescence efficiency from 1% to 89%, and we think we could get all the way to 100%m which means we could have no voltage loss – but there is still a lot of work to be done.”

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback