Printer

My HP 3 - 1 printer seems to have gone up the swanee, I have tried everything I know to get the thing to work to no avail, so I am going to have to buy a new printer.

Any reccy's I would prefer one where the inks are not extortionate if possible. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• It would probably be helpful to know what sort of printing you tend to do (photos, pictures, emails, ...) and at what sort of volume (pages per week).

Do you need another 3-in-1, or does the scanning stil work on your old printer (and do you have room to hang onto it as a scanner) ?
  • I am looking for a 3 - 1 I do not do a high volume of printing, but do print photos as well as documents. I do not have room to hang on to the old one, it has to go. The cost of inks is horrendous even though I do not do a lot of printing.
  • Take a look at the Canon Pixma range if you're really short on space. I got an MX495 recently and I'm fairly pleased with it - ink jet though.

If you're after something more hardcore then there's this:
    https://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/multifunctionals/laser/i-sensys_mf628cw/
    Their LBP range is very good.

Canon also now sell to the consumer directly: https://store.canon.co.uk/
  • Waves to CSARINA! I had a HP and I was relieved when it finally packed in. So temperamental and the price of the ink was ridiculous! I don't do an awful lot of printing and scanning so I got a Canon Pixma All in 1 from Amazon for an amazingly cheap price and am happy with it. The ink is more economical too. DGD liked it so much she requested one for Christmas to go with her new laptop. (I got hers from Argos)
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If your printer spends a lot of time being unused then you don't want an inkjet, you want a laser. When inkjets go unused the print head nozzles get clogged as the ink dries. Also every time you go to use it when you use them rarely it'll have to do a full priming and cleaning initialisation cycle which uses ink so you actually waste as much as you use.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Take a look at the Canon Pixma range if you're really short on space. I got an MX495 recently and I'm fairly pleased with it - ink jet though.

I have one of those too - it was a Which best buy when I was looking a while back.

Seems to work well so far :)
  • Tarambor wrote: »
    If your printer spends a lot of time being unused then you don't want an inkjet, you want a laser. When inkjets go unused the print head nozzles get clogged as the ink dries. Also every time you go to use it when you use them rarely it'll have to do a full priming and cleaning initialisation cycle which uses ink so you actually waste as much as you use.

I too have given up on inkjets. However, a 3-in-1 colour laser would be pretty expensive, I fear, for a small volume of printing. (I had enough room to hang onto my abandoned 3-in-1 inkjet for scanning.)

I initially had a mono laserjet from freecycle, and planned to use the local library if I ever needed to print anything in colour (but never did). Have since got a colour laser printer from a charity shop, but it is pretty bulky (and rather slow - fortunately doesn't matter to me).

Would still consider going to one of the high-street places to print photos, though.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    £50 to £100 for a cheap mono laser, get photos done at high street as you say.
  • Tarambor wrote: »
    When inkjets go unused the print head nozzles get clogged as the ink dries. Also every time you go to use it when you use them rarely it'll have to do a full priming and cleaning initialisation cycle which uses ink so you actually waste as much as you use.

Whilst that's a pain and does waste ink, a bigger issue with a little used printer is the printer not being able to carry out the cleaning cycle due to the cleaning system being clogged up with congealed ink, to clean, the printheads park in a certain position and a vacuum system sucks ink through the printheads, if the pump and tubes are clogged with congealed ink the machine can't prime the print heads, I've seen this a lot, even on machines that have never seen a refilled or compatible cartridge. My advice for someone who prints very little and infrequently would be to use a friends printer or do it at work if allowed, failing that buy a cheap printer that takes something like a HP302 cartridge.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • chunter
    chunter Posts: 2,000 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 September 2017 at 12:10PM
    Epson XP342 All-In-One Wi-Fi Printer
    [FONT=&quot]Argos Code: 580/6216
    £40
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5806216

[/FONT] 7dayshop.com have a set of Epson 29XL compatibles (multipack) at £11.09. https://www.7dayshop.com/epson-ink-cartridges/7dayshop-non-oem-t2996-29xl-ink-cartridge-multipack-18ml-b-c-m-y

Remember to keep the empty original epson starter cartridges in case it has to go back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure