Please feed back on the 40+ Comping Tips guide

Comments

• The only thing I noticed is that on point 38 you say "Alternatively, earn big bucks for online surveys" Im sorry, but Ive been doing surveys for years and dont think you earn big bucks. Yes they are more of a guaranteed income, but it is only a small income. Hours online answering questions to get a voucher for £10 is the usual. I know its not the same as comping so not sure if it should go on here, but just wanted to point it out.
    Current Aims: Laptop/PC, decent money, holiday
    Best Wins: Ipad, Nintendo 3DS, £400 Shopping Spree at LK Bennett, £100 Boots vouchers
    Total Wins (Since April 2012) £3442.56
    Big thanks to all who post comps :T:beer:
  • Zaney
    Zaney Posts: 41 Forumite
    "One consideration is that Roboform blindly fills out form details in the same way as spambots, which spammers use to send scores of entries. So some companies may mistake you for a spambot and block your entry. We've no stats on how many comps will block you this way, but if you're worried, try Autohotkey instead."

I, like many others, use Roboform all the time. I would hate to think that any of our entries were discounted. Often I have to make a few small changes after Roboform has filled the form and I always click the submit button. I would be interested in any other views on this....
  • I really ought to be a Competition Pro.
    I regularly enter Competitions which I haven't followed up assuming they will contact me if I win.
    I just enter and hope for the best completely forgetting it.
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
  • barnabee
    barnabee Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks MSE Jenny, good advice in the 40 tips.

I think I am correct in saying that if you click on a website link to a competition, some promoters have software that can check where the entries have originated from. IE you can trace entrants who have clicked through from the MSE website.

I have always found it beneficial to copy the MSE competition link first and paste it into a new tab/window. Doing this will also make it easier to see if it is a 'clean link' and not related to an individual or a referal.

It is also easy to tell when a new comp has been published on a website as the promoter gets loads of entries within a short time period. I have found I win more prizes by entering toward the closing date of the competition although the gamble is that some comps do get closed earlier than stated.
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Point 8: Get Picky “Of course, with some contests there is the option to try to sell the prize on eBay. But you’re entering the contest based on someone else’s efforts to find it, and by doing so you'll be diminishing their chances. So consider the ethics before entering just to flog.”

No offence, but I am amazed to find this here. Not only is the forum called, “Comping for Cash”, but it is housed on a website that is entirely about making and saving money. If MSE thinks that comping should purely be a hobby, rather than as a means of generating money then why it is here? As far as I can see, there are no MSE forums about maypole dancing, or train spotting.

Yes, posters diminish their chances of winning by sharing comps, but this applies regardless of what people do with their prizes. I don’t post lots of comps, but I do post them when I find them. I love the idea of helping someone win something they want, but if anything, I get an even bigger kick out of thinking that perhaps I helped someone make ends meet.

What worries me most about this being in the guide is that the last thing this forum needs is anything that encourages more user-bashing, in my humbles.

Point 37 “If you've 'won' but the company demands a fee or deposit, walk away.” I’m sure this is true in nearly all cases, but if a prize is being shipped from another country extra shipping and tax may apply legitimately.

Point 40: Facebook. It’s probably worth mentioning Twitter too and perhaps a ‘how to use’ link for Pinterest, Google +1 and rafflecopters.
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • D.A.
    D.A. Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Quick tip for those using a Mac using OS X Mavericks - particularly those who don't use a password manager like 1Password or allow their browser to store and autofill their details.

Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Text

will allow you to set up some text shortcuts, so for example, instead of having to type my mobile phone number, I set up a shortcut called 'mpn' and now when I type mpn it offers me the option of replacing it with my number. Likewise with my email address, I use 'dgc' - [EMAIL="d*******@gmail.com"]d*******@gmail.com[/EMAIL] in that case.

Also, if you're using iCloud, these shortcuts will be synced to your iPad and iPhone, so you can do the same thing there (you can of course also set these up on the iOS devices, even if you don't have a Mac).

This is also handy for those occasions where the password manager or browser happens to skip a field and you have to fill it in manually.
  • Squina
    Squina Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Really informative - thanks for all the hard work put into it.

One suggestion - is it possible to swap the 'Thanks' button and 'Spam' button around? I click 'Thanks' and the 'Tick' at speed and sometimes, if I'm rushing too much, I accidentally click on the 'Spam' button as it's right next to the 'Tick'. Having the 'Thanks' and 'Tick' next to each other would stop these errors and would also speed everything up.
    ABC Challenge: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    2019 Challenge: £53.00/£1800
    Jan 20 Wins: Sylvanian Families Cottage & Family, 2x Frankie & Benny Vegan Meals,
  • avvie
    avvie Posts: 6,520 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Fantastic and really helpful!
    October2022 Wins -2 ~Tshirt x2 2022 Wins ~ 5 *TShirtx3*7UP*ChupaChupsBundle
  • Point 18 is a little out of date. I used to seek out the big TV comps on "prizefinder" as it had a dedicated tv section-this has now gone because the only alternative to premium phone entry is now the snailmail postal route.
  • coachwise wrote: »
    Point 18 is a little out of date. I used to seek out the big TV comps on "prizefinder" as it had a dedicated tv section-this has now gone because the only alternative to premium phone entry is now the snailmail postal route.

Agreed, I was going to ask the same question. Where is the alternative non-premium phone number?
    Save £12k 2013 '13 #66 £12,106.76/£12,000 // '14 #44 £10,081.90/£10,000 // '15 #67 £11,976/£12,000 // '16 #67 £7,322/£12,000
    MFiT: £187,200 - MFD: 02/31 - Target = £35,000
    T3 #71 - '12 £125,899
    T4 #71 - '15 £80,264; '16 £66,946 '17 £44,997
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills