HMRC compensation

I have been fighting with HMRC for the last 12 months to reclaim tax that I have payed. I have been going round in circles being sent back to the same old departments that don't do anything. I have been told about 20 times that I will be called back but only once has this happened. I have made a complaint about this and was wondering what sort of compensation I could get? Does anyone have previous compensation amounts?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Without knowing what your reclaim is in respect of and over what period, it is really impossible to say if you are entitled to anything. Typically, under self assessment, you are not.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I am in titled to get about £1000 back in overplayed taxes as the company I worked for took it off of me but told hmrc that I hadn't been working. I first asked about it in the summer of 2013 but was told that I would have to wait till the end of the financial year to make the clame. I started that about this time last year. I have probably made 30 or 40 times now.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Figures are needed to be able to help you.

If you paid it because you were working even though your company said you were not, you were still liable to pay it.

Give us figures from your P60 and any other details you have.

Your posts are of no help at all.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • I don't understand what you mean. All I want to know is how much money people get in compensation for delays and such from hmrc? It shouldn't matter what the delay is from. What details do you want from the p60?
  • Also I payed it on emergency tax but never earned over the threshold to pay tax so I can clame that back
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure