4 weekly payroll cut off?

Options
freelancepuddle
freelancepuddle Posts: 82 Forumite
edited 2 December 2017 at 11:17PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
I need some advice about a bar job I am working to make ends meet. Unfortunately I received my first pay check this month - and half of it is missing. I asked my manager and he said that the final week on a 4 week payroll isn't considered, so I will get that at the end of this month/next month. Is this accurate?

Comments

• ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    I've never actually worked in such an environment but I have heard it reported that it is fairly common. Isn't that why it goes into a pot? if it was all for you you could just pocket it.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I suspect the chefs haven’t taken any tips but have (rightly) been included in the cut. Do you grudge them a share?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    I need some advice about a bar job I am working to make ends meet. Unfortunately I received my first pay check this month - and half of it is missing. I asked my manager and he said that the final week on a 4 week payroll isn't considered, so I will get that at the end of this month/next month. Is this accurate?

On top of this I made £6 worth of tips last night, stuck it in the pot, and ended up getting 60p. I was shocked and asked why, and the manager told me everyone behind the bar and all the chefs get a cut of our bar tips. I've never heard of chefs taking the bar staff's tips, is this bogus or common?
    So are you serving them air or something?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    How much of a cut of the tips have you relieved prior to last nights? Does everyone throw the tip money in the pot?
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Sarastro
    Sarastro Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    There will have to be a cut off date for the payroll so that they can calculate it and make the payments before pay day; that's standard so not unusual that the pay period isn't the same as the calendar month.

I think it's also pretty standard that tips are pooled and shared out amongst all employees on the basis that everyone who worked there contributed to providing the positive experience which generated the tip. Seems fair to me.
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sarastro wrote: »
    I think it's also pretty standard that tips are pooled and shared out amongst all employees on the basis that everyone who worked there contributed to providing the positive experience which generated the tip. Seems fair to me.

It's a system called a 'tronc', and yes, ensures that all staff, not just the waiting staff, get a share of the tips.

Another way of thinking about it is that if someone else makes £6 of tips, you get 60p.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Kitchen staff put at least as much effort into getting the food to the customer as do the front of house staff. It might legitimately be argued that the cooking staff actually contribute more. It's certainly fair, and common, for all staff to share in the tips.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    There are 2 parts to pay the pay period and the pay day

you need to know both.

It is not uncommon for pay day to be after the end of the pay period in environments where work schedules and hours are very variable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure