Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks TH, glad I don't have to write a hundred but I know what you mean about keeping up with people from year to year.

If you'd seen my cc bill you wouldn't say I was focused... but, we are all stocked up on food now until the pre-Christmas shop, apart from milk, eggs and veg (which are delivered).

Have reached payout on VB, so that's another £12 for the pot... might not arrive till the NY now though.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Options
    Friend has just postponed dinner as she's not well, so have postponed some spending there (probably a good thing this month). Still need to go out this evening to collect something from Mum's, so will probably do all the other bits I had planned. Can come home to a nice bit of salmon and something for dinner though :)

The post brought a £5 WR voucher from Shell yesterday, so that'll help to eke out the balances on gift cards until Christmas... Had vouchers from Sains this morning, but don't think I'll use them as all need a minimum spend of £20 and that goes against my plan!

Work was quiet yesterday, so started on Christmas cards. Also soaked some chickpeas and cooked them off this morning - will be nice to make a curry with some. Will freeze them in the meantime (if I don't munch too many as they are!). Had leftover squash for dinner last night and am on operation fridge use-up between now and Christmas - there's too many jars of things lurking in there! Work has picked up today, so focusing on that as it's the best way to pay off the mortgage!

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Options
    Forgot to mention that last night I booked a night away for my birthday in Jan. Train tickets from Herts to York £20 for both of us return and we have a free night on Hotels.com owed (mainly courtesy of DH's work trips) - so just cat care to pay for (which will be £20 max and hopefully maybe free if I can persuade Dad that it's a birthday present!). We'd been talking about getting the train up there for ages, so it seemed too good an opportunity to miss! Hoping sis's baby doesn't arrive that weekend (but I was hoping that anyway - I don't want to share my birthday! :P)

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope you are having a relaxing weekend themadvix you sound very busy and very organised in advance for christmas ,i on the other hand am very lazy and leave most things until the last minute including writing all my card and wrapping presents ,i have no excuse for this and often find myself wrapping presents through the night on christmas eve /day and posting cards through friends letter boxes .This year i must be more organised .
  • themadvix
    Options
    Had a lovely weekend, thanks, TH. We met some friends at an NT place with a Christmas fair on Saturday. Only purchases were some food to eat and a twist of garlic bulbs - probably expensive, but at least we'll use them, whereas all the chutneys we were tempted by would just sit in fridge for ages! (They were yummy though). Yesterday was DH's birthday, so fairly lazy, watched the GP, visited my family and had dinner at his parents. I achieved a NSweekend, even if DH didn't as he paid on Saturday! TBH, I couldn't afford to spend!

DH didn't seem to mind my using up of a postcard for his birthday card - we're both pretty focused on the MF dream right now. I made some passing (joking) comment to DH about living off of his income and paying all of mine off the mortgage the other day and he said 'Can we wait until the new year to do that?'! The plan is that he'll pay my CC bill and then I'll OP what I would have spent (as well as anything else). We'll see how it goes! I'm trying to work out how to minimise the amount spent on presents without seeming tight at the moment - am wondering if I can get away with a mammoth birthday card shopping session in Card Factory or some such. Had to use stores card for a friend the other day - she even made a comment that it was a good card for her, so got away with that one fortunately!

Haven't done any more Christmas cards, or shopping over the weekend. Not too worried - we're off on a city break in a couple of weeks and plan to really start then and anything else will be planned and bought the following week.

In MFW news...

£1 survey on NV completed this morning
    35p on VB (added to payout total, which is great!)
    Sold a car part on ebay - (a life changing) £1, but it's out of the house!
    Plan to pop to WR later to buy a couple of bits - will use Shell voucher.
    Wearing thermals in house to avoid putting heating on!
    DH away tonight - dinner for one from stores... (and he gets enough nights on Hotels.c to get free night away for our trip to York!)

Better get on with some actual work now! Have a good day all!

• themadvix
    Options
    Have been super-focused with work so far today - am impressing myself and probably giving my client ideas about how fast I can work that I shouldn't be! The other person that was supposed to be working on the project has dropped out because of family issues, so I should get to take all of the work, which is great - December/January can be quite quiet, so it's nice to have something solid to be working on.

£12.07 from £co had arrived in current a/c, so OP fund now at £202.80 :D

Thermals were working a bit too well - got a bit chilly about midday, used thermostat to check temp and discovered it was only 12 degrees! I hadn't noticed. However, I don't think it's great for the house to get too cold, so popped it on for an hour. It's on again now for another hour. We replaced the ancient boiler in the summer, but I don't think we can afford to have it on all the time, even now. It's so hard to get the balance between not being cold and not being miserable when I'm at home all the time (and sitting at a computer, not doing stuff).

ETA: Have now popped out to WR (Mum now coming for dinner) and used my Shell voucher and some of my survey giftcard balance - there should only have been a max of £25 on each card, but the one I've just used (typically yet another fresh one, rather than finishing one off!) must have had £50 on it, which it definitely shouldn't have done! Survey co must have made a boo-boo there :D I'm never going to get the damn things out of my purse!

• themadvix
    Options
    Had lovely dinner with Mum last night - fishcakes and bendy veg! She didn't mind, fortunately!

Have transferred £15.95 of NW rewards a/c rewards to OP fund (leaving enough to cover charge in the account for months Sept-Dec) - OP fund now at £218. Getting rather hopeful that we'll be able to make a bigger OP than expected, although of course then it won't be a nice round number!

Am definitely less focused on work than I was yesterday! However, have still got quite a bit done this morning. Had heating on for an extra hour as it was so cold this morning, but it's off now... although I can't feel my toes.....

DH home tonight, but away again tomorrow night. Will have daal for dinner tonight, so very yummy and very cheap :)

Have heard my new lappy will be arriving tomorrow (yay!), so looking forward to getting that set up (might wait for DH, although I am perfectly capable!). Will be good to get all the monitoring apps working on it :)

If I catch up on work this afternoon (although latest task is likely to take some time), I may pay myself and do money shuffles - it's a bit early, but need to get PB money in before end of month and think I'll sleep better when cc bill is settled and I know what I've got to OP and spend on our city break.

Not overly impressed with clothes company I bought clothes from earlier in the month - dropped returns parcel off last Sunday and they've still not received it - apparently it can take 2 weeks to get back to them! No doubt it'll take a while for money go be processed back onto my card too, so I'm going to have to settle that (probably with savings money). At least I'll have a big credit on card for next month's spending (can I eke it out until Jan?).

Must crack on - need to rummage in garage to find item I need to post from ebay and put washing on airers. Ugh.. and do work!

• themadvix
    Options
    Ebay parcel posted... think I'll have made the grand sum of 50p once all fees are deducted, but it was a part for a car we no longer have (and nor apparently does anyone else as it has been listed for months) so it needed to go. Will transfer monies less postage to OP account though (ebay fees will have to come out of current a/c at some point). Found 2p on the floor while I was at the PO though! Promptly pocketed that and it will make its way to the sheepbaaank (sorry!).

Bought stamps for Christmas cards whilst there to save queuing up twice, so all sorted for them now, just got to finish writing them!

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounding very organized themadvix with the stamp and Christmas card writing. You've reminded me I have some from last year to dig out and start cracking on :D

Enjoy the new laptop when it arrives! Shiny new toy!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • themadvix
    Options
    Thanks KK! I love how you all think I'm organised - it's a good job you can't see my house!:rotfl:

Laptop arrived yesterday and I managed to get Windows and anti-virus installed and then got bored! In fairness I had work to do and a headache and a plan for TV viewing in the evening as DH was away, so it's still not in use yet. I have got a couple more things installed on it this morning. It's not a terribly exciting purchase as I have to have it for work and I'm not entirely convinced about the keyboard layout. It's also not purple like my current/old lappy (was a customised Dell and I'm very fond of it!). I don't like change, can you tell?!

Cats are enjoying the giant cardboard box it came in though! :)

Did the money shuffles yesterday and managed to settle giant cc bill, in full, which is nice, as I'm no longer stressing about it and clothes company refund still due, so will have a credit balance. Hoping between that and the WR vouchers not to have much of a bill in Dec. Christmas presents are all budgeted for elsewhere and we've got some money put aside for city break - flights and hotel are already paid for so it'll just be food and a couple of train fares.

OP fund stands at £316 this morning as I transferred some of my business savings to it as I've now hopefully got another 6 years before any large cap ex. Also cancelled next week's veg box as we won't need it and have transferred the money I would have spent on that straight over. A TT and a couple of other bits make up the rest. DH says I can have a couple of hundred from his MB profits (he finds he needs quite a bit of liquidity to make it work, so this is the first profit that will make it to the OP pot! :j ). That takes us over the £6K mark for the year and hopefully there'll be a couple of little extra bits - when I finally finish a WR voucher I'll transfer the balance from my current a/c, and I've got to order some car bits from Am, so will transfer voucher value from car maintenance fund - am waiting on this as a client often sends a £50 Am voucher as a thank you at Christmas (she's lovely) and I'll put this towards it too (if it happens, I'm not counting chickens, just don't tend to buy from Am, so this would be a good use of it).

Next milestone is sub £100k :j According to our spreadsheet, without any more OPs this wouldn't happen for another year (Jan 18)! Safe to say that's not happening... I'd love to get it down to five figures by March, which is the anniversary of us buying the house, but I don't think that'll be very feasible - I'll still be paying £250/month into my TSB RS (5%) until then. It'll depends on how strict we are with ourselves! It would be amazing to be in five figures! That would mean we'd have paid £32k off in 4 years (and two of those not even trying :o)!:eek:

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback