The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 11

Comments

• Shaggydoo - thankyou for being so welcoming, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    How do you all do NYE AF?
    I am off to a friends house on NYE, luckily for me she is teetoal, so there wont be any alcohol involved, just loads of movies, playing games with the kids, and munchies.
    It'll be the first AF NYE i can remember!!
  • gien
    gien Posts: 1,649
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 30 December 2011 at 10:07AM
    Crazymum, I really understand where you're coming from - I felt like you too and with the help of this thread and a bit of self motivation I have really cut down my alcohol consumption - I feel loads better for it and I think my family does too.

Welcome too Cleggie - Liking the idea of an AF NYE - I'll try and keep mine to a sensible level of drinking.

Shaggy, I'm going to set a target for January of 23 days, which meabs I can have two drinkingdays per weekend. Thanks againfor allthe hard work scoring that you do.
    Trying to keep in budget.

• Lovely new thread,:j and lots of new posters.:wave::wave:.Stick around.

Sobriety delivers everything Alcohol promised.

Alcohol free since May 23rd 2003.:D
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,491
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for starting the new thread Shaggy and welcome to posters old and new:wave:
  • cleggie wrote: »
    The first thing i thought of was a pampering evening. Face mask,exfoliate and moisturise whole body, facial scrub etc. all of these things i already have in the house, so instead of getting bladdered on the sofa, we could do that?

thats sounds like brilliant idea! i have a raft of stuff i need to get used up (I'm over on no more buying toiletries to deal with that too) so that'll help me shift it all.

i only had one and a bit glasses of wine last night, had one then with the second had a bit and just thought "i really don't want this" so i poured it down the sink.

were having today alcohol free then drinking tomorrow for new year but I'm not going to go mad with it.

can i have 20 AFD for jan please? i want to limit it to weekends if i can and go from there. I'm thinking that if i make an effort and join the gym i won't want to ruin it and come home and drink all the calories I've just exercised off.
  • Welcome to all the newbies :wave:, Well done for de-lurking and joining in.

Christmas has been a bit different this year what with having BabyR and me working. What hasn't changed much is the alcohol consumption, yesterday being the worst. So just a couple of days until 2012, then I find out if he will stick to "The Favourtie Phrase"

Well done for some fantastic totals in December. It really is a difficult month and the temptation is everywhere.

Here's wishing you all a very happy and safe New Year, and good luck for 2012

MrsR xx
    Halifax CC - £6725.99 ;Tesco CC - [STRIKE]£582.49 [/STRIKE] Transferred to MBNA
    MBNA CC - £1944.41
    Xmas Saving Card £33.50
    Holiday Spending Money £180
    Debt is like any other trap, easy enough to get into, but hard enough to get out of
  • A Big Welcome to Bigdrinker,Evilsquid1603, Crazymum and Cleggie:wave: Wishing you lots of luck on your AF journeys /cutting down journeys :T

I will be begining the School Night Challenge this monday 2nd of January for any who want s to join in. Everyone is welcome x

30 days AF please Shaggy
    And i will stick to TF for January please:)

I will be driving to the New years eve event this year and it will be the 1st sober one since I started drinking at 14 (so 11 drunken new years eves). And I couldn't have even contemplated this before without the support of this thread :T Thanks guys

bearacus xx

NW-£0 Cap one-£76 HSBC small-£359.51 (0% Aug16) HSBC car- £3511.46 (0%Oct17) HX car/baby- £2731.57 (0%Nov16) HX -£1198.66 (0% Jul16) Argos- £50(BNPLMay)
    Credit card debt-£7877.20 (4/3/16)
    Car Loan - £21,777 - Now - £12,383.36 Mortgage- £154,315.77
    LLoyds loan- paid 28/1/11 LLoyds O/D paid 9/9/10
    New LBM- £ 28/2/2016
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Thanks bearacus.
    Glad to see that i am not the only one planning an AF NYE!
    I have had a search through my pampering drawer to see what i can dig out for this evening. I have a feeling that i may just watch a movie and then come on MSE for a bit with a cuppa and then have an early night. But i have the pampering things ready just in case.

I also think that in the weeks to come, i may look into mocktails. My teetotal friend had some on her birthday and they were really nice!
  • nettttie
    nettttie Posts: 318
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hi all,
    don't think I've been here for over a year and I've maintained 3 AF days per week. Am generally on MSE a little more so I thought I'd join the challenge; it's christmas I've been slipping.

for January put me down for 23 AF pls

good luck all :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family