Trying to cancel broadband when moving into care home

My mum has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and has had to move a nursing home as she is not well enough to live alone. I phoned BT to cancel her broadband and TV package; they have said it can't be cancelled as she is only 12 months into a 24 month contract- if I cancel it there will be a £215 charge.
They did ask if she couldn't take it with her- I said no, I don't think nursing homes let you set up your own broadband /TV.
If she dies it will be cancelled without charge but as she is still alive there is a charge to cancel.
Just wondered if anyone has experience of this and anyway to cancel without charges? It doesn't seem fair when she's had to move due to serious illness.
Thanks.

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,411
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I used to do voluntary 'computer training' at the local 'old folks home' and the guy there had his own phone and internet in his room.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You could leave it a couple of weeks, then lie and tell them she's died. They don't ask for sight of a death certificate. Horrible thing to have to do though in the circumstances.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9845/~/bereavement-of-bt-account-holder

However I would put in a formal complaint that enforcing their cancellation charge does not reflect their losses in terminating the contract early and in these circumstances (where the customer is not voluntarily leaving to another supplier or can easily take the contract to a new address) is an unfair contract term.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You could leave it a couple of weeks, then lie and tell them she's died.
    This would be fraudulent, of course.

Not recommended.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If she has no assets, just don't pay, as they will not be able to take her pension money as that goes to pay for care.
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    edited 20 April 2017 at 7:01PM
    teddysmum wrote: »
    If she has no assets, just don't pay, as they will not be able to take her pension money as that goes to pay for care.
    This assumes the person in question is a pensioner, but the OP says she is going into care because she has terminal cancer which can occur at any age.

It's never wise simply not paying. Why attract debt problems and worries unnecessarily? Especially as the person is soon going to be very ill.
    J_B wrote: »
    at the local 'old folks home' and the guy there had his own phone and internet in his room.
    This looks like a better option than simply paying a £200 cancellation fee.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    This assumes the person in question is a pensioner, but the OP says she is going into care because she has terminal cancer which can occur at any age.

It's never wise simply not paying. Why attract debt problems and worries unnecessarily? Especially as the person is soon going to be very ill.

This looks like a better option than simply paying a £200 cancellation fee.

The debt would be the lady's ,not the OP's and unfortunately the former will no longer care.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Yes, she could transfer service to the care hone, however this would restart the minimum terms again, so hardly a 'solution'.
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    Buzby wrote: »
    Yes, she could transfer service to the care hone, however this would restart the minimum terms again, so hardly a 'solution'.
    Imminent death will automatically cancel any such minimum term, so very much a solution which saves a £200 early cancellation fee.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Imminent death? Hardly - it is still a liability on the estate. Death is guaranteed, a waiver is welcome but not guaranteed. If the move took place and a request to cease 4 weeks later, I doubt you'd find them so forgiving. Unless you can point to a clause that states there is automatic cancellation with no penalties on death?
  • JLS3405
    JLS3405 Posts: 57 Forumite
    BT should have a policy for people going into care homes and this also should apply to people in the Army/RAF etc that then can leave within the contract for free. TalkTalk do. Usually in the case of the death they take any monies owed from the estate, if any. I would call back up and speak to some one else, if you don't get anywhere raise it as an official complaint and to CEO
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure