PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

To bait or not to bait

I am about to leave 2 country cottages empty for 5 months. One has been empty for a month and I have baited for mice who have been and taken the bait but left no other evidence. My question is am I attracting mice by baiting as there is nothing else to attract them? Or should I bait to kill them off and stop them multiplying. Any advice would be very helpful.

Comments

• bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'd put something down to stop them getting in and nesting, food source or no food source. Five months is a long time.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    We had mice last year in a holiday chalet and tried baited traps after our environmental health officer friend told us break back traps are the only thing that work. The bait got eaten and the traps didn't spring - apparently that generally means you're attracting wood lice etc.

So I splashed out on two sonic mouse repellers. More expensive, but no evidence of any mice since and they last for ever.
    Better is good enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport