Will I get into more trouble??????

Hi all. Anyone help with my conundrum!

Feb 2013 my Fiance and I split and after abit of 'to and froing' She decided to leave the home, leaving our daughter with me. this changes after a few months when i presume she had somewhere secure to stay and she took our daughter to live with her. That is quite a different problem that is being resolved ,hopefully via the courts.

We bought a 1/3 of a property, as shared ownership deal. MY parents gave me the 9k deposit that was needed and we secured a joint mortgage for the rest.

Since she left in feb2013 she has not contributed to any bill, rent nor mortgage. I now have received a letter from a solicitor as she is forcing me to sell the house so she can have half the deposit.

I really don't want to be there anyway, too many memories etc.

If i just moved out, informed the mortgage company, council etc. of my intentions not to pay anything further. What problems will I incur??

Mortgage companies don't really care who pays the bills. and I feel that I've continued to maintain the house pay the bills etc. with no help from her and she is now going to reap the rewards.
:(

Comments

• 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi OP you might be better posting this on the renting, buying and selling part of the board. You don't get much traffic round these parts.
  • ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You will end up with the house being repossessed and you and your ex will have your credit file trashed for the foreseeabe future and you will be chased for the debt by the mortgage lender.
    :p
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Since you have a joint mortgage then you are both jointly and severally liable. The mortgage lender doesn't care who pays the mortgage as long as the payments are being made.

Do you own the property as tenants in common or beneficial joint tenants? Did you have a deed of trust drawn up when you bought the property detailing that your parents paid the deposit?
  • cupcake5
    cupcake5 Posts: 9
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    THANKS tO YOU ALL. THIS IS WHAT I THOUGHT!!!

BETWEEN DEVIL AND DEEP BLUE.
  • jules8542
    jules8542 Posts: 26 Forumite
    If you are already going to court in respect of daughter why not ask the solicitor involved to sort out financial arrangements to as the maintenance arrangements will have to be agreed upon anyway. Surely if you have proof that your parents gave you this money ie statement from bank then judge could take this into account when sorting out finance. If you can't afford solicitor you can email your local citizens advice or even visit and they will help you for free. Good luck.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    jules8542 wrote: »
    If you are already going to court in respect of daughter why not ask the solicitor involved to sort out financial arrangements to as the maintenance arrangements will have to be agreed upon anyway. Surely if you have proof that your parents gave you this money ie statement from bank then judge could take this into account when sorting out finance. If you can't afford solicitor you can email your local citizens advice or even visit and they will help you for free. Good luck.

Sadly I think this is one of the times marriage might of helped?

Maybe I am looking at this wrong but the house is both theirs and yet they are not married ~ where the money comes from doesn't matter because she would own 50% of the house so its her right to sell her half etc.

I think the only way out of it is if you both signed a loan agreement from the parents...if you were married you could perhaps consider it a 'joint asset but paid by the OP' so he might be entitled to more back??

*shurgs*

You will only be shooting yourself in the foot if you move out and don't pay bills..your own credit rating would be wrecked as well as hers.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • fawd1
    fawd1 Posts: 715 Forumite
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    Sadly I think this is one of the times marriage might of helped?

Maybe I am looking at this wrong but the house is both theirs and yet they are not married ~ where the money comes from doesn't matter because she would own 50% of the house so its her right to sell her half etc.

I think the only way out of it is if you both signed a loan agreement from the parents...if you were married you could perhaps consider it a 'joint asset but paid by the OP' so he might be entitled to more back??

*shurgs*

You will only be shooting yourself in the foot if you move out and don't pay bills..your own credit rating would be wrecked as well as hers.

I disagree. In this situation marriage wouldn't have helped because everything is split 50/50. As it is, if they have a judge look at it, he should (being the operative word), split it into what has been put in by either party.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure