2»

Comments

• Fisaplisap
    Fisaplisap Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Benners123 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I am on the lookout for a new bike. I cycle 5 times a week to and from work which is about 6.5 miles in total a day. My current bike is a hand me down from a family member, is too small for me and is over 15 years old so it starting to break.

Where is a good place to get a new bike from? I was wondering if you could get a decent bike second hand? or is it better to bite the bullet with a place like Halfords? Do I have to pay for them to assemble it for me?

Open for all options. Have about £150-£225 to spend and would prefer quality over cheapness. I have been advised the best type of bike for my activity is Hybrid, due to the concrete paths and roads which I cycle on.

Look forward to your suggestions!
    Does your work have a cycle to work scheme?
    Consider a cyclocross bike. It's like a road bike with 'knobblier tyres'- great for whizzing along roads/pavements but great for off road stuff too. So cycle to work nearly as quickly as a road bike then have a cheap weekend day out by using it to cycle through a forest/park/hill!
  • Fisaplisap
    Fisaplisap Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also, I spent AGES researching and ended up with a Boardman cyclocross from Halfords. Their service from beginning to end was great.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fisaplisap wrote: »
    Also, I spent AGES researching and ended up with a Boardman cyclocross from Halfords. Their service from beginning to end was great.

Very much the exception from what I see on bike groups, backwards forks, returning bikes with bolts missing etc. I'd buy parts from Halfords but wouldn't let them within a barge pole of my bike
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Very much the exception from what I see on bike groups, backwards forks, returning bikes with bolts missing etc. I'd buy parts from Halfords but wouldn't let them within a barge pole of my bike

They do exist :j

Our local small Halfords (shop only) has an excellent young man in charge of the bikes and I didn't hesitate to leave my bike in his hands when it needed stuff doing which was beyond my tools and experience.

But apart from that I agree.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Between Halfords, Decathlon and Evans, we have found the latter the best all around, the first the absolute worse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure