Travel Insurance Article Discussion

Comments

• busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    samal wrote: »
    Problem with Moneysupermarket is that 18+ is not a child for family quote, where as some do allow them to be part of a family as long as they are in full time education.

No but with Direct travel you can add 'a student 19-22 at no extra cost'
  • grainy_2
    grainy_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Help!
    I have been searching ages, cant find anything cheaper than £123.
    I would like a 90 day trip insurance, to cover europe, ski sports cover, and preferably an annual policy.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    I am 26.
    Thanks!!
  • grainy wrote: »
    Help!
    I have been searching ages, cant find anything cheaper than £123.
    I would like a 90 day trip insurance, to cover europe, ski sports cover, and preferably an annual policy.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    I am 26.
    Thanks!!

www.getmy.com/travel

Standard pol £55, Premier £66.01 - Both annual with winter sports & 90 day trip limit
  • Spikey_2
    Spikey_2 Posts: 14,119 Forumite
    Do you need to ring the company if you have a pre existing medical condition?

This is so confusing?

Annual Cover is sometimes cheaper... eh??????????/

which company is the most reasonable? arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Use your judgement, and above all, be honest with yourself. :)
    I walk with the world & the world walks with me!
    I don't make bad choices!!! Other people just fail to see my GENIUS !!!! :D
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Spikey wrote: »
    Do you need to ring the company if you have a pre existing medical condition?

This is so confusing?

Annual Cover is sometimes cheaper... eh??????????/

which company is the most reasonable? arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-travel-insurance

PEMCs need to be declared to and accepted by insurers; I have usually always done this online, only once by telephone.

Don't forget to declare PEMCs for those travelling with you and for any close relatives not travelling for whom you would cancel/curtail the trip if they became ill from a related condition.
  • stixmcvix
    stixmcvix Posts: 14 Forumite
    Hi there

I'm going round Thailand, Borneo, Vietnam and Laos for 4 weeks in December, and am looking at Worldwide Single trip. The quotes I'm looking at are around the £50 mark per person; much more than I'm used to. I've booked my flights and a few hotels on the credit card, and wonder whether I should bother with the insurance at all.

Anyone have any advice?

Many thanks
    Victoria
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    stixmcvix wrote: »
    .....and wonder whether I should bother with the insurance at all.
    Anyone have any advice?

Is this a wind up???

Aside from being prepared to lose the entire cost of the holiday if you should fall ill or get injured before travel have you considered the issue of healthcare abroad? Or will your friends be making an appeal in the Daily Mail when you are stuck in the Far East needing healthcare/medical repatriation that you cannot afford?

Insurance should be taken out at the same time as booking your travel plans.
  • wickenwoman
    wickenwoman Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 1 August 2010 at 1:56PM
    I jst wanted to thank whoever it was who suggested EHICPlus. They are the only company who have not loaded the premiums for our policy for three asthmatics travelling to the Canaries in a party of five. Our insurance came in at £69.90 for five adults.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I jst wanted to thank whoever it was who suggested EHICPlus. They are the only company who have not loaded the premiums for our policy for three asthmatics travelling to the Canaries in a party of five. Our insurance came in at £69.90 for five adults.

Make sure you read and understand the policy as it has some differences to a normal policy
  • I took out an Insureme 4 Diamond Plus policy via Moneysupermarket.com having read that this policy covers such eventualities as an airline going out of business. The quote was extremely competitive.

However, on reading the policy terms I am concerned by the following:

- personal posessions (baggage) excludes "Anything which you cannot provide a receipt or proof of ownership for". Is this normal as one would not expect to be able to provide such proof for general clothing etc e.g. if the airline lost my bags?

- missed departure includes "up to £500 for extra accomodation and transport to get back home if your return transport back to the UK is delayed and you are too late to connect with your booked UK internal transport" per KeyFacts and "We will also pay you up to £500.....the cost of extra accommodation and transport which you have to pay to get back home because your inbound flight....is delayed by the time shown in your travel itinerary and you miss your connecting UK internal public transport..". This seems confusing as it suggests I am covered for the cost of delays once back in the UK which is rather useless as clearly one needs cover for being stuck overseas due to delays. For example, if there is a strike at BAA airports and my return flight is delayed surely my insurance company should pay for the extra overseas accommodation required while waiting for the flight (strike action is not excluded in the policy). Again, is this formulation normal / does it meet industry standards?

Any help appreciated.

Regards

NossenBer
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family