Best value/quality 5 door small car

Hi all,

I am looking for a fairly new small ish 5 door car. Budget is 6k max. I have an 18mth old child and it will mostly be for the 2 of us to use on short journeys. No car to part exchange so will be paying in full, any bargains to be had?. Currently driving my hubbies new bmw 3 series so a bit of luxury would be nice also!

Any advice greatly appreicated.

Many thanks

Comments

• frowner
    frowner Posts: 139
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    was thinking corsa or yaris, any advice? many thanks
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There are many good small cars out there. I like the Fiat Panda but many won't touch Fiat (where are are you Jeannie?).

Personally I would look for the best deal around rather than a specific car.

Many think the Yaris is a good car, another worth looking at might be the Honda Jazz.
  • AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    Corsa's loose a ton of money in depreciation in the first few months and loose very little after that, well worth a look, good car and good value bought 6-12 months old IMO.
    I'm a bit anti Fiat in general, but the Panda is proving to be only just behind the Japanese for reliability, lots of fun and really good value. My sister in law has one, brother loves it too (he has an Audi A4 company car).

Short journeys = petrol engine, don't get a diesel.
  • Latest generation clio, brilliant safety and reliability is as good as any.
    The 1.2tce is better than a lot of 1.4's out there but cheaper tax and better fuel economy.

£6k should get u a nice one with a few toys. Anything Dynamique and above is nice!
  • BillScarab
    BillScarab Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Suzuki Swift, not exactly a luxury car but looks good, is cheap and nice to drive.
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

• frowner
    Forumite
    thanks all, much appreciated.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    BillScarab wrote: »
    Suzuki Swift, not exactly a luxury car but looks good, is cheap and nice to drive.

Not having driven one hard to say but I believe the Swift is supposed to be great fun to drive.
  • A Mazda 2 would be a good choice for you.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • frowner
    Forumite
    Mmmmmm the new mazda 2 looks lush, but not sure I could get a decent new shape in my budget. Have I got more chance striking a deal with no car to part exchange? thanks
  • I've got a Peugeot 107, which is five door. I'm not sure how much they are brand new, but I got mine which was 9-months old for £5600, it's a lovely little car to drive and very economical.
    Start Date: 27/11/2010
    Padding: Day 42
    Target £8000
    Amount: £562.23
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business