PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Comments

• Thanks for the reply,

IHT is being dealt with and I have the grant which I have already included on the paperwork. I am happy with the simple search for the title number if I cannot find it in amongst the reams of paperwork that I hold.

As I don't need the deeds it looks like I'm all set to go :)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Land Registry Plans are notoriously inaccurate in scale. They indicate rough boundary sitions only.

How far out is the fence as opposed to the Plan?

Is it likley that a buyer, looking at your garden, and then looking at the LR Pln, would notice a discrepency?

A solicitor certainly won't as he won't ever visit the garden.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,776 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    phil1973 wrote: »
    just wondered if this will be physically checked on site during the selling process and could be picked up on which could jeopardise the sale? If this did get raised as an issue I could go to my neighbour and explain and I am pretty sure that he would confirm in writing that he is happy that the fence is in the location it's in as he got a fencing contractor in who put it where it is

The conveyancer will usually ask the client to check the title plan with what is on the ground. Some may spot it but some may not - all down to the individual and what they are keenest to view for example ie house or garden or both

If they do spot it and query it then you are likely to have a problem both timewise and unravelling what happens next. And then it invariably depends on the conveyancers/potential lender involved and how important they view the issue/risk

Worse case scenario is that they want it solved - that may mean the registered owner (your neighbour) transferring that small part to you.
    Some may suggest 'claiming the land' but that may not be an option as they gave you conssent it seems to have the little bit extra.

The experience of others can help understand the possibilitie shere but it's all about you, your neighbour, your buyer, their lender and any conveyancers invcolved really. And they are all unique to your specific scenario.

So you are STC and next step is to see if the buyer picks it up and queries it
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Many thanks G_M & Land Registry

I would say it is unlikely to be picked up on but not impossible. It looks right where the fence is and we have plants and part of a patio technically on next doors land so hopefully will get away with it. Fingers and toes crossed.

Thanks again.
  • I have a question.

We are currently in the process of buying our freehold. We're at the point now where prices are agreed and everything is handed over to the solicitor.
    It is now that we have been told that when Bellway sold their interest in the lease (the headlease) to Adriatic this transaction was not registered with Land Registry. Apparently they have not even applied to do this yet (Adriatic bought nearly 2 years ago).

How long does it take for this kind of transaction to take place once Adriatic and Bellway have actually started the transfer process?

Land Registry, could you advise?
  • Land_Registry
    Land Registry, could you advise?

All a Q of whether it was a transfer of the whole (7 working days average) or of part (57 working days average) of the registered title

And then that it's all in order of course
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • That should be sufficient but you will have to make it clear, covering letter, that she is using the double-barrelled surname. The marriage certificate will make it clear how the name is derived

Many thanks for the response Land Registry. Any idea how long it will take for the land register to be updated? We're in the process of re-mortgaging and the register needs to be updated before we transfer to a new lender.

Thanks
  • Land_Registry
    wardylad wrote: »
    Many thanks for the response Land Registry. Any idea how long it will take for the land register to be updated? We're in the process of re-mortgaging and the register needs to be updated before we transfer to a new lend
    Thanks

Average timescale is 7 working days if all in order
  • rogcal
    rogcal Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In 2003 my wife and I entered in to a mortgage with Abbey National and in 2005 we remortgaged with Halifax at which point the Abbey mortgage was redeemed.

In 2015 we paid off the Halifax mortgage.

Fast forward to today and we get a call from the solicitor handling the sale of our property advising that in Feb 2010 a charge was entered against our property in the register and as we had told them we were mortgage free, could we explain why Santander had a charge on our property.

I suspect that when Santander finally finished operating Abbey in Jan 2010 they went through the "books" and for whatever reason decided to enter a charge on the register against our property.

It's only at times like this that you wished that there was some form of automatic notification made by the LR that a charge is made against your property. In our case it's just a bloody nuisance that needs sorting out and hopefully will not delay the sale of our property but the possibility of people committing fraud by borrowing money on property they do not own would be made that little bit harder if home/land owners were notified when a charge was placed on their property.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    rogcal, HM Land registry offers a Property Alert service which will send you an email if there's a change, as well as occasional emails reassuring you that nothing has changed. You can sign up for alerts to properties that are relevant to you, not just your own. A landlord's or one you're the landlord of, say.

You'd be hard pressed to find this on their site. Even knowing it exists I couldn't find it by browsing around and relied on Google's search instead. The closest choice on their main page to "Sign up for email alerts" looks promising but doesn't even provide a link to this service. It's under search property ownership information then on the right there's a link to "Protect your land and property from fraud" and if you click on that the text contains a link titled "sign up to get property alerts" that finally takes you to it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback