PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Comments

• Hello LR Rep,
    I am getting divorced and am buying my husband out of our matrimonial home. There is a mortgage and the building society have agreed in principal I can take the mortgage on and are processing my application. On the form it asks who the solicitor is. The solicitor I am using to draw up the Consent Order does not do conveyancing. Do I actually need a solicitor to oversee the change in name from both to just mine or can I do it myself via the Land Registry? Or is there more to it than that? Thanks in anticipation.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,776 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    BISCUIT1 wrote: »
    Hello LR Rep,
    I am getting divorced and am buying my husband out of our matrimonial home. There is a mortgage and the building society have agreed in principal I can take the mortgage on and are processing my application. On the form it asks who the solicitor is. The solicitor I am using to draw up the Consent Order does not do conveyancing. Do I actually need a solicitor to oversee the change in name from both to just mine or can I do it myself via the Land Registry? Or is there more to it than that? Thanks in anticipation.

You don't have to use a solicitor although most lenders insist that you do

https://www.gov.uk/registering-land-or-property-with-land-registry/transfer-ownership-of-your-property
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You don't have to use a solicitor although most lenders insist that you do

https://www.gov.uk/registering-land-or-property-with-land-registry/transfer-ownership-of-your-property
    As LR rep says, the transfer of name on the Title you can in theory do yourself as per the link.

But the mortgage lender will require a solicitor to deal with their Charge being placed on the Title.

Does your solicitr not have a colleague in the firm who does conveyancing? but even if so, make sure they are on the lender's approved panel.

alternatively, ask the lender to provide a solicitor - but then you'll have no control over the fees....... better to ask the lender for a list of local solicitors on their panel.
  • Thanks LR Rep and GM. They (mortgage lender) didn't seem to have any opinion as to who was going to do just wanted their details..solicitor has volunteered to obtain someone to do it but I do have an old friend whose wife is a conveyancer so will she if she will do it if the mortgage lender is happy with that...was just hoping I could sort it myself to save some £££'s...solicitor wanted at least £700 to do the divorce which I have done myself with no problem.
    :)
  • G_M
    Is old friend's wife on lender's panel?

Lender may not " seem to have any opinion as to who was going to do just wanted their details", but once they have the details they'll check against their panel list!
  • Thanks, I'll get it checked with them to be sure...don't need any hold up's at this stage.
  • G_M
    BISCUIT1 wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll get it checked with them to be sure...don't need any hold up's at this stage.
    Old friend's wife will know if she is or isn't!
  • pernes
    pernes Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pernes - check the registered details first and see what reference it makes to the last sale/Transfer
    You cna then apply for a copy by post https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land

Can you confirm where on the titles I have downloaded that I will find the registered details? Thanks
  • Good afternoon. I am the executor of a will and am trying to complete the property assent to the beneficiary by completing forms AS1, AP1 and ID1 – The property was owned outright and there are no financial transactions to be performed.

I have been reading all of the guidance but apart from the Grant of Representation do I need to send any other documents such as the deeds? – I do not have these!

I have the title number (somewhere) but if I cannot find it is a simple online search for the title register enough or do I need to purchase official copies?

Many Thanks
  • G_M
    edited 19 September 2017 at 12:56PM
    £3 here.

If the property is registered you don't need the deeds, just the Title number.

I'd include the Grant of Probate in your name too (though not sure if it's needed. I'd have thought it would be though).

I assume IHT is dealt with and Probate granted?

It's all explained in the Guidance:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/whole-of-registered-title-assent-as1/guidance-how-to-complete-form-as1

Ah:
    Once you have completed form AS1, you must then complete application form AP1.
    Send your completed forms and an official copy of the probate/letters of administration to the HM Land Registry address for applications. There is no need to send a covering letter.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback