Not told about overdraft charge increase -- do I have a claim?

Just found out that in 2010 HSBC moved me from their Graduate account (no interest fees up to 3k) to an Advance account (not sure what the APR is, the agent wasn't very helpful on the phone). Obviously I noticed that the name on my card had changed but wasn't aware I'd now be charged for my overdraft. They're sending me a full list of charges within 5 days and I'm pretty sure it's going to be £££. Has anyone had any experience of claiming interest that they weren't aware they were being charged back? It doesn't technically fall under bank charges. I'm not in financial hardship now, but I've really struggled over the years and relied on the overdraft I thought was free to get me through month by month. First thing I'll be doing next week is paying off that overdraft and switching banks. :mad:

Comments

• Not being aware of the terms of your account isn't grounds for compensation, unfortunately.
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Did these charges that you were not aware of appear on your statements?
  • I am paperless and use telephone banking, not internet banking (was hacked once and it really put me off). Honestly, as it wouldn't have been vast sums of money in any given month, I wouldn't have noticed. Luckily, this month I got a text warning me I was approaching my limit and it flagged £9 payment as the reason why -- and when I queried I found out this was interest.
    ZX81 that seems odd -- means that banks could then make changes to the terms of your agreement without your knowledge, no? (as they did with me).
  • I think banks do have to make you aware of any fees or charges when you start a new account though right? I just opened a joint account with the Halifax and before I could even get a £50 overdraft I had to watch a video and confirm quite a few times I understood what interest rates were.
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 September 2017 at 11:55PM
    Just found out that in 2010 HSBC moved me from their Graduate account (no interest fees up to 3k) to an Advance account......

Surely you must have been aware, when after graduation your Student account was converted into a Graduate account (with particular advantageous conditions) that the Graduate account only had a limited life span. Of course, once the Graduate account had come to an end, those special conditions like free overdraft would also end.

You must have graduated some ten years ago. Do you really think the Graduate account with it's free overdraft was yours for life?
  • ZX81 that seems odd -- means that banks could then make changes to the terms of your agreement without your knowledge, no?

No.

I didn't suggest they made changes without telling you. I suggested you were unaware of them.
  • Just found out that in 2010 I noticed that the name on my card had changed but wasn't aware I'd now be charged for my overdraft.
    Seven years ago the bank will have doubtless sent you a letter detailing the terms and conditions of your "new" account. The time to query any "new" charges would have been when they first appeared, not almost a decade later. Your statements would have detailed these charges each month, "paperless" or not.

You really have absolutely no chance of any refund and I strongly suggest you check your statements each month for whoever you change your account to. Overdrafts are not free elsewhere either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure