Fire TV Stick

Comments

• donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Donna, 17.4 IS the latest build of Kodi.

A build is the definition given to a compiled piece of source code.

But it is not helping those not clued up by referring to kodi by itself as a build. This is because installing kodi by itself won't give you anything. To get tv, movies etc you need to add what they call a build. The one I have has a website with step by step instructions describing how to add their build which has 5 or 6 variations depending on what content is best for you.
  • But it is not helping those not clued up by referring to kodi by itself as a build. This is because installing kodi by itself won't give you anything. To get tv, movies etc you need to add what they call a build. The one I have has a website with step by step instructions describing how to add their build which has 5 or 6 variations depending on what content is best for you.

Sounds like addons for a build to me , c.f. Firefox addons not working when mozilla release a new build... and that is going imminent:cool:
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    But it is not helping those not clued up by referring to kodi by itself as a build. This is because installing kodi by itself won't give you anything. To get tv, movies etc you need to add what they call a build. The one I have has a website with step by step instructions describing how to add their build which has 5 or 6 variations depending on what content is best for you.

no you don't

You can have Addons without a build full of c*** you will never use

I use 3 addons, the rest don't even get opened
  • donnajunkie
    Sounds like addons for a build to me , c.f. Firefox addons not working when mozilla release a new build... and that is going imminent:cool:

The build I use regularly gets updates.
  • donnajunkie
    no you don't

You can have Addons without a build full of c*** you will never use

I use 3 addons, the rest don't even get opened

Well that's upto you but you can disable and even uninstall add ons if you feel there's a need in the build. The one I use has no adverts at all. I believe there are some builds that are full of ads. The version of the build I choose takes up around 500mb roughly.
  • glentoran99
    Well that's upto you but you can disable and even uninstall add ons if you feel there's a need in the build. The one I use has no adverts at all. I believe there are some builds that are full of ads. The version of the build I choose takes up around 500mb roughly.

You don't need a build though that's the point, its addons are whats needed, builds are just a collection of addons
  • donnajunkie
    You don't need a build though that's the point, its addons are whats needed, builds are just a collection of addons

Yeah true but recently my dad lost his build on his tablet but the add ons were still there. He found it annoying. The build makes it more user friendly I think. Plus if you just get add ons you need to know what add ons do what, how good they are and where to find them. Some builds are better than others. We used to use a different one which was ok, we are very happy with the current build which is much better.
  • glentoran99
    Yeah true but recently my dad lost his build on his tablet but the add ons were still there. He found it annoying. The build makes it more user friendly I think. Plus if you just get add ons you need to know what add ons do what, how good they are and where to find them. Some builds are better than others. We used to use a different one which was ok, we are very happy with the current build which is much better.

How many of the Addons would you actually use? 500mb is a big build for a firestick and chances are its slowing it down.

that said if your happy and it works why change it

I think my kodi is about 3 versions ago,
  • donnajunkie
    edited 5 September 2017 at 9:55PM
    How many of the Addons would you actually use? 500mb is a big build for a firestick and chances are its slowing it down.

that said if your happy and it works why change it

Quite a few actually. For example if a movie doesnt work or cant be found on one you can sometimes have joy on another. Same goes for trying to find a particular footie match. A popular movie addon ended recently and has been replaced. If I had just had the original add on I wouldn't have known that.
    Edit.
    On the size, I have heard of builds that are as much as 1gb. So 500mb isn't too bad. It runs well enough on the firestick. Not as good as on a mobile device but still good enough. You can watch a movie without buffering the majority of the time.
  • donnajunkie

We still have 16.1 on a couple of devices and the build we use is still supporting it. They think add ons will start to stop supporting it and force us over to 17.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure