Ask a CCCS counsellor a question

Options

Comments

• CCCS_Sue
    CCCS_Sue Posts: 966 Organisation Representative
    Options
    I

Hi Beauty Therapist and thank you for your message

I am attaching a link to a booklet called Credit Explained which gives advice on how to amend any wrong entries/paid up debts on your credit file and also gives other useful information regarding your file. click here

I am also attaching a link to Moneysavingexpert’s information on how to improve your credit file . http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score

Hope these help

Regards
    CCCS_Sue
    I am a CCCS Debt Counsellor and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on CCCS in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy
  • scouselad1974
    Options
    Hi

Once you have been given a start date for your DMP of July 1st, when is it that CCCS contact your creditors to negotiate on your behalf, do they contact the creditors before hand to arrange a payment amount, or do they just send the creditors a letter with your first payment.
    DMP mutual support thread member:327
  • Morgans_Dad
    Morgans_Dad Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Morgans Dad and thanks for your message.

It is difficult to say without knowing how far the application for the IVA had gone.
    If the creditor can prove you wrote to them admitting the debt, or that you or anyone else owing the debt made a payment then the six years limitation period would start running from the date that contact or payment was last made.
    Also it is important to note that if the creditor has been to court and there is a CCJ outstanding, then you cannot use the Limitations Act to dispute the debt. It does not matter how many years ago the creditor went to court, the CCJ will still exist.
    You are entitled to a copy of any files the creditor holds containing the history of your account under the Data Protection Act 1998. A request for the file would not mean you were admitting the debt so it may be an idea to look at this first.

Regards
    CCCS_Sue

Hi Sue,

Thanks for that. The IVA definitly didn't go as far as negotiation. I think they just wrote off to ask if there was any debt they thought belonged to me and how much. I couldn't be specific with amount to the company I just gave them rough figures and names of original bank creditors and they had to do all the digging.

Ok as you say I think DPA it the way to go to see what date they think I last contacted them - who do I do this on? The original creditor I guess, but any number of DCA's have had this case and if the debt was with someone else the IVA company may have been told to write to xxx. Then its them i'd have to DPA to see if they had any proof I would think?

Thanks for clarifying the CCJ situation as well. Only one of the creditors bothered to get a CCJ in 2005, which they haven't enforced either. This is due to drop off my credit file early 2011. Now I didn't even know about this at the time as they send the papers to a old address, even the IVA co didn't tell me about it! I only seen it on my Experian recently. I understand this can be set aside as I didn't know about it at the time, but then what happens to statute bar in this case? Also can I CCA Barclays for the CCJ related debt and if they don't come up with it also have it set aside on these grounds as well? It also looks to me like that they have done is merged it a old loan account with a overdraft and got a CCJ for the two lumped together... Is this ok and how will this affect me?

Cheers,

Morgan's Dad

• SeaThreePeeO
    SeaThreePeeO Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, after some advice. My husband has been made redundant, but the company are unsure whether he will be paid his months wages. They say they're trying to but we may have the claim the money. We have been through this before but my husband found work a few weeks later so we were able to carry on with our DMP payments.

However there are a lot less jobs about at the moment and while he has interviews I am worried what will happen should he not find employment as quickly and we are unable to keep up our CCCS DMP payments.

Should we contact our creditors and explain the situation and offer token payments until OH is working again? Is there a template letter for this?

Many thanks
  • CCCS_Matthew
    CCCS_Matthew Posts: 922 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Once you have been given a start date for your DMP of July 1st, when is it that CCCS contact your creditors to negotiate on your behalf, do they contact the creditors before hand to arrange a payment amount, or do they just send the creditors a letter with your first payment.

The creditor proposals are made prior to the start of your DMP. Your budget is sent to them (generally electronically) along with a copy of the other creditors you owe and how much each one of them are getting through the DMP. This is when the creditors generally make a decision on whether they want to accept the offer or not, although as I'm sure you're aware they will be paid regardless.

Regards,
    Matthew.
    I am a Debt Counsellor that works for the CCCS and have specific permission from Martin, to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on the CCCS and what it does in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article.

CCCS is a registered charity, and there is no charge whatsoever for any of the services we provide to our clients. We take great pride in offering first class help and advice, but we only offer this where we have been able to fully explore and understand your circumstances with you. We want to help you understand these choices and their possible implications but not make them for you.
  • CCCS_Matthew
    Options
    Hi, after some advice. My husband has been made redundant, but the company are unsure whether he will be paid his months wages. They say they're trying to but we may have the claim the money. We have been through this before but my husband found work a few weeks later so we were able to carry on with our DMP payments.

However there are a lot less jobs about at the moment and while he has interviews I am worried what will happen should he not find employment as quickly and we are unable to keep up our CCCS DMP payments.

Should we contact our creditors and explain the situation and offer token payments until OH is working again? Is there a template letter for this?

Many thanks

Hi there,

You would need to ring CCCS for an ad-hoc review of your budget, as it's unlikely that the DMP would be still feasible if his income is no longer there. Somone can then give you some short term advice to deal with the creditors (such as token payments) until he's back into work again.

Hope this helps,
    Matthew.
    I am a Debt Counsellor that works for the CCCS and have specific permission from Martin, to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on the CCCS and what it does in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article.

CCCS is a registered charity, and there is no charge whatsoever for any of the services we provide to our clients. We take great pride in offering first class help and advice, but we only offer this where we have been able to fully explore and understand your circumstances with you. We want to help you understand these choices and their possible implications but not make them for you.
  • CCCS_Matthew
    Options
    giddyg wrote: »
    Hi,
    Please can you advise as I am going out of my mind with worry.
    Today we have been to try and set up a basic bank account with Barclays, but we were declined. When we asked why, we were advised to contact Experian to get our credit history and it might be due to a CCJ (which we have never had) We were gutted as we are trying to prepare a new account as advised by your people at CCCS in readiness for our appointment on July 22nd. We were totally up front with Barclays and told them we have been late paying credit cards, but all our other credit was up to date. The Experian reports shows 1 default record and late payments, both on credit cards but all other credit satisfactory.
    Where do we turn now? We have been told to apply to a bank for a basic account that is not linked to any of our credit cards or banks, which are Natwest, tesco, lloyds, MBNA capital one .:confused:

Hi there.

Normally when you apply for a basic bank account, you don't need to be credit checked as you are not asking for any borrowing facilities such as an overdraft. It's not uncommon for bank advisors to try and sell you a current account, even when you've asked for a basic account so you might need to make it clear that you only want to be considered for a Cash Card account.

If you are really struggling to get it sorted with them, you could always try someone like Co-op, HSBC, Nationwide. The following link might help as well:

http://www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk/pdfs/bank_accounts.pdf

Hope this helps,
    CCCS

• monkeysarecool
    Options
    Hi, I'm currently under DMP with Payplan but I'm now in the position where I feel I can manage on my own. The debt isn't huge.. and is down to around £8K. (Problem was, I lent the money to family at a young age and they didn't pay me back so I couldn't afford to repay my creditors for about a year!).

Now that I'm on track, with a good regular income, and 3 years in my current home, if I were to come off DMP would this improve my credit rating at all? I am looking to buy a share in a house in 2-3 years time so want to get planning now rather than later.

Thank you!
  • pie_man_2
    pie_man_2 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    sorry if i have posted in wrong thread i am new ,I am about to start a dmp soon i have a car loan which i have included in my budget thinking of changeing the car to a more economical one can i do this on a dmp as it will save me around £40 pper month can anyone advice me please:rotfl::rotfl:
  • single_mom_desperate
    Options
    I am in an aulfull lot a debt and i dont know where to start, plaese see my soa , i am having real trouble coping , i am no longer able to keep up min repaymnets as before i was borrowing money of family left right and centre , them unknowingly to it paying my debts , i cant borrow no more and dont want to , just want out plesae help :-(

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet[/b
    Household Information[/b]
    Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household......... 1
    Number of cars owned.................... 1
    Monthly Income Details
    Monthly income after tax................ 650
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 816
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 1466
    Monthly Expense Details[/b]