Options

Comments

• swimminginaseaofdebt
    swimminginaseaofdebt Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 March 2017 at 1:20AM
    Options
    Evening everyone,

Have had 2 NSDs since my last post here, taking my up to a total of 8 for this month.

I've been doing my surveys and cashed out on one, so £1.17 has been paid off the credit card.

I've been using things these last few days. I'm continuing with reading my library book and yesterday I used my George Foreman grill to make toasties for the first time. They turned out nicer than I expected. I've also started watching The Affair on Now TV, don't want to sign up for a service then not use it!

I've not been very charitable this month but today I remembered to pop something into the supermarkets food bank when I went for my shopping.

The little one is still not well so not been out much though today I did drag him out for a walk to the supermarket. He's not a fan of shops, starts crying when he gets there hopefully he'll feel better soon and I can take him to some more enjoyable activities!
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    greent well done on selling the bike trailer, money and space, a double win. It might be worth asking in the charity shops if they could use some of the couch paper. I once offloaded two sacks of bubblewrap and plain paper packaging as I overheard the volunteers worrying because they had nothing to wrap fragile items in.

indigowarrior 20 is quite a high target for NSDs. If you made it or nearly made it most months, it should make significant savings. Halving your mobile phone contract is impressive.

ccl as you say, lists are good for clearing clutter from your mind. Mine were just making me feel guilty, emphasising all that I hadn't done (especially working through 3 old notebooks and finding bits I still hadn't done). Look after yourself and enjoy Scotland and your birthday.

EE well done on the charity shop clothes shopping. I love the story of your village allotments. Pressure for housing is everywhere and allotments are such an easy target compared to the environmental assessment needed for re-using an old gas works for example.

Calling I like your matching coloured squares to flowers and leaves game. Two years ago I used up a lot of foam pieces to make a pack of playing cards for a four yo (rabbits and eggs in as many different colours as possible - for snap and pairs matching games).

abundant 'stop saying mean things to yourself''. You deserve a rest after the wonderful voyage you took us all on.

mrshubbard Your recycled garden sounds like mine. I uncovered my cobbles whilst recovering from PSTD (would go out and hit the thicn concrete layer with a lump hammer when things were bad). They didn't cover the whole yard (a couple of the neighbours had beautiful cobbles) so used them to build raised beds leaving enough slabbed surface to ride a small tricycle. Most of my containers were other people's cast offs - the plastic inners from old pedal bins (tall kitchen ones) are excellent for confining mint and it can go in a corner behind smaller plants. Re your career change, I would give it serious thought, especially as your mother has offered to fund it. You are quite young to spend every day doing something you detest.

FurryBeastOz congratulations on your budget ski break. 'Life planning' sounds interesting. I need to do some - I'm drifting a bit atm.

ilovetea ouch to the price of ham shanks. I use cooking bacon to make my modern version of it (onions, green lentils, veg/chiken stock, herbs, chilli flakes, lumps of bacon). I had 'pea soup' (ham was taken out and put to one side) twice a week at grandma's during childhood (jelly in saucers or a little 2d chocolate bar for afters). I bought a ys turkey leg last week as they current price always shocks me.

swimming Your NOw pass sounds like a good bargain. I hope the little one soon recovers.

XSpender I know it has come at the wrong time but the rapairs and maintenance work were needed. In the long term you have probably saved by getting things fixed before they get worse.

Skint Teacher wow to energising yoga.

Speky got to love a man who can bake.

Thrifty good luck with th bedroom revamp.

f0xh0les congratulate yourself on improving your house without spending money. I think all men do that 'tuning out' thing. It's like the way they can sit and read a paper without interruption whereas when I tried to do it, a toddler arm would come crashing through at once.

I've loved all your different breakfast ideas, the reasons you do or don't have cars and all the replies to the use it or lose it and wellbeing challenges.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • mothernerd
    Options
    EE thanks for taking on running next month's thread - much appreciated and anticipated.

Okay I am awake, now.

Went to local history and crafts (mixture of my own stuff and 'helping' with fairy houses). As anticipated fell asleep on the bed when I got in. Woke briefly at 5.30pm (DS2 called) and then at 8.30pm (brushed my teeth, shut the curtains, took teatime and bedtime pills, took my clothes off and got under the bedclothes).

Woke about 11pm (went to bring the bins back, bagged and binned the nasty quilt, went to take the bedding off 'their' bed but DS3 was in it so removed the two small quilts from the spare bed in the front room, set off another load of washing, ate two bananas, filled a bottle of water).

I have read and replied to many of your posts. I hope I haven't missed anyone, deep apologies if I have - Fmess and Apple sorry, I have read your posts (maybe I have another page of notes?). Bananas weren't enough so have eaten again and put a further load in to wash (Beloved isn't coming back until Friday now, so am determined to drag all the bedding off the beds - we have enough for visitors so they should be able to find something to put on the beds.

Going to have another sleep soon. I've written a shopping list for later. Lots to do in the kitchen but it's obvious - don't need a list. Some veg need using - okay but if I don't do it, some things will get overlooked and spoil. Will go to mum's later.

For yesterday I am grateful for a pleasant time at crafts, for people being okay with the way I have spoken to one person (remarks were in the same vein as she used but wanted to check that it wasn't being taken the wrong way) and for enjoying the book I am reading with my local history partner (though quite relieved that we are near the end).
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
  • mothernerd
    Options
    Day 23
    Use It or Lose It
    Books and music (whatever format). A lot is downloaded these days, so how much do you keep and why? I am down to half a dozen books (+ library books) and have been thinking about why I keep them - one is an outdoor building book and has all the mixes for cement/ mortar for different purposes - the info is probably online somewhere and I am unlikely to be doing this sort of building in the future. Very little music anymore - mainly things to be used at funerals. I have one of my original cookbooks (Cranks), could get recipes online but would probably write it out to use it.

Not to cause resentment, but do you have spouses who insist on keeping things in old formats (even if you have nothing to play them on)?

Day 23 Wellbeing
    Put on some music and dance (as if no-one is watching). you can sing as well, if you want to.

Inspiration
    This situation is of my own making and the only person who can change is me, what am I waiting for?
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I realised the last few days how little it takes to knock me off my perch - I need to learn to build emotional resilience somehow - and not take things to heart, or latch on to stuff I can't resolve. I need to let it go and live in the 'now' more. My mood goes - and all my self-control and best laid plans with it. Total self-sabotage!!! GRRR

Mothernerd, I loved what you said about treating yourself like you would a child - that's what I try (being a good parent to myself) - though when I'm down I just reach for whatever will give me an instant fix (food, spend etc) rather than learn to just sit with it... Will try harder.

Snap abundant I have been seriously self sabotaging over the past couple of days. In a very dark place and eating huge amounts of crap knowing it's going to make me feel worse. I don't see it changing today either - I've twisted my knee so the gym is out. Off to work shortly.

Not working tomorrow so hopefully I can pull myself together then.

At least I managed to sleep last night. Mothernerd well done on your late night productivity
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    No NSD today as I need to buy dolly mixtures for the topping of my empire biscuits. Plus I'll buy a bottle of wine for my mothers day. Went to Asda this morning and forgot about the licensing laws so need to go back after 10am. Damn.

Weekend away in Aviemore starting tomorrow, so not sure how many NSD's I'll manage. We usually stock up on home baked goods so there's no shortage of something to snack on. I'm looking forward to just chilling out.
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Speky I'd stock up on hot drinks:D Were only going as far as St Catherine's diving, but I'm expecting to freeze:eek:
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi folks

Love music, so not parting with any. Did get a rid of records and videos ages ago.

My afternoon off today so went and did a big food shop in Lidle made use of £5 voucher in their spring leaflet. My cupboards were looking empty also bought clothes there. Lovely cardigan 7.99 and a skirt for a fiver but really impressed with quality. Not somewhere ever think of buying clothes from. I remember chatting to a student last time we were at the checkouts who was raving about their t shirts. Wishing got some leggings now

Not walking anywhere today pulled my back moving compost which is keeping my gate up following Doris, Stella, this morning, so I could put my bins out.

Rest day chicken cooking in oven with some baked potatoes realise I never just chill out till about 8pm lately. Need to de stress more.

Grateful for
    Washing dried outside yeh
    Managed shopping whilst back was killing me
    Done 5k steps somehow already and haven't had a walk today
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We're not guilty of owning anything which we can't play on something - but we are guilty of owning a (matching but totally separate to the CD player) cassette player and got rid of all our cassettes..... :D:D

I prefer paper books to kindle ones - but am happy to dispose of fiction ones when read (6 so far this month) I like cook books and have some other reference type books, but not many nowadays (2 shelves in total, inc the cook books)

Had a good workout dancing around in Zumba this morning and little bits since - got my 10k steps just after 3pm :)

SFD - bought some more claimable items - will get money back for everything tomorrow.

Tomorrow won't be SFD, as I have 3 donations to make for RND non-uniform day........

Today I am thankful for:
    * a good Zumba class
    * an unexpected quick chat with an ex-colleague in the supermarket
    * my mum bringing veggies from her garden for the guinea pigs :)
    * it being Thursday - which means tomorrow is Friday - so the weekend is getting closer!!

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nothing new to report today. More being busy at work and at home.
    Just checking in and saying hello.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport