PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Endlessstruggle - hope you feel better soon, have been suffering for the last couple of weeks with tonsilitus so I know exactly how rubbish you're feeling

Museumworker - You are doing great, well done on treating yourself too. Im not much of a cook, I recently won a Gordon Ramsay Christmas Cook Book if you'd like it?

Time for a little update from me, although I havent really done much today apart from work and had visitors but I will be back tomorrow with more
    Ditch 100 in May 52/100

39 -41 Cast Iron Table & Two Chairs - Sold
    42-51 10 x Rubber Stamp Sets (Craft) - Sold
    52 Empty Icecream Container - School

Night all xx
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What a great thread - can I join in?
    I really need to de clutter my whole house and this could be the motivation I need.

Hi and welcome, if this thread doesn't motivate you nothing will, lol!

Today I have hardly stopped, and am now worn out and aching all over (and enjoying a nice bottle of wine, lol), but got lots done and feeling very pleased with myself!

First I put away the washing that was piled on the armchair, then I tackled the ‘cupboard of doom’, as things had started to get chucked in there again. I had an underbed storage bag in there containing some bedding but it was split, so I have binned that and put the bedding into a vacuum bag (minus a pair of single sheets which I have put in the charity bag), so that now takes up less room. Also for CS, 2 pairs of jeans (which have been too big for about 2 years), a book, and some recipe cards which I have never used, and will never use. Sorted through a load of recipes cut from magazines, and all the ones I’m not going to use have gone in recycling, along with a load of leaflets some of which I’ve had for about 30 years, if I ever need the information in these leaflets I’ll be able to google for it. Also binned an old ring size gauge, as it was broken and I already have another one.

This afternoon I cleared a shelf in the lounge which contained a load of recordable and pre-recorded vhs videos. I’ve offered 33 recordable vids and a video cleaner cassette on freecycle, and put another 33 vids in a box in the spare room, as I can’t quite bring myself to part with them all yet, even though we’ve not recorded anything for years and now have a tivo box, lol! I then vacuumed the shelf to get rid of the cobwebs and dust, dusted all the pre-recorded vids and put them all back on the shelf. It looks much neater now I don’t have the other videos behind them, and have been able to spread my ornaments out on both the shelves instead of having them all on the other shelf, so it looks a lot less cluttered.

After all that, I tacked the speaker wire along the skirting board, so that is no longer trailed across the carpet, I’ve still got a bit more to tack on tomorrow, and I've also got a few other bits from the cupboard to sort through tomorrow.

Ditch 100 in May 61/100
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    78 - bag of clothes, at least 20 items, cs

Was inspired by a thread on here about how many clothes a woman needs... That was just tshirt types...

More tomorrow.

Night x
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    Options
    2 bags to CS...all from under stairs and still more to go....

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    138- 143) 6 books to CS
    144) Wire rabbit shape for plant topiary to CS
    145) needle case to CS
    146) Fluffy toy to CS
    147- 162) free with newspaper DVD's to CS
    163-168) free with newspaper new age cd's to work
    169) An extra bin of paper recycling on top of the stuff we already take. (we use the bin from the shredder that was beyond repair to herd paper recycling)
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • miasnanny
    miasnanny Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Sorted out food cupboards and pantry yesterday, there was a fair bit of flinging involved I'm ashamed to say, I detest food waste, so have given myself a stern talking to!!

I'm a bit doddery today so won't do too much unless I get superdupermotivated. I am aiming to have a fling in the bedroom tomorrow, so I'm 'conserving' my energy for that (who a I trying to kid?):rotfl:
  • EndlessStruggle
    EndlessStruggle Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 May 2012 at 6:32PM
    Options
    I have postponed my tip trip to next week so I have some time to get it all together as want to take a whole car full and want to tackle the garden soon, got some plastic garden chairs that are well past their prime and need to persuade mum the exercise bike needs to go (it's older than me and not been used in years, I just attempted asking her to get rid and it's a no). I am just having a tidy today as feel rotten. I have some eBay items ending today that have sold yippee.

I have had an in today from the charity shop, I believe it is some kind of decluttering karma as I have donated lots to them. I have wanted one of those chopper, shredder, peeler things where you do it by hand and it has blades for a while and I got one in the charity shop today for £1.50 :j

I've had the breadmaker on and the slowcooker, decluttered lots of veg into it! Going to update my eBay spreadsheet for recent sales and have 3 parcels to wrap and post tomorrow.
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    Options
    I found another 9 recordable videos today, so put them with the others, and all have now been collected. Yesterday I found a ring binder with recipe cards in, and after looking through the recipes last night, I decided that there was nothing I fancied making so that has gone in the CS box. I also found a small pile of magazines that MIL gave me last year, and managed to read one this morning, so that is in recycling and I've shredded the pile of papers that were on top of the shredder.

This afternoon I tacked some more of the speaker wire onto the skirting board, and also tacked on the cable that goes from the digi tv box to the digi hub, which has been trailed along the carpet since being installed years ago, so that looks nice and neat now, just got a bit more of the speaker wire under the back window to tack on now, will try to do that tomorrow if not it will have to be done at the weekend. I was hoping it would all get done today, but I had a few problems with it and ended up with sore knees and an aching back so gave up on the rest, lol!

Also this afternoon I finally glued a fridge magnet back together and put it back on the fridge.

Ditch 100 in May 73/100
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    79 - more clothes - to cs

Last night I did casual tops and tshirts, tonight I did casual trousers, jeans, shorts etc.

I no longer own a pair of shorts! Not sure my knees should be in the public domain lol. I do have a few pairs of leggings and cutoffs just below the knee, though. So I can do "summer" if it ever arrives...

Tomorrow I will do work trousers / skirts. Since I only work three days a week, and one of those is at home, I'm sure I don't actually need more than 2 pairs of office trousers and a skirt. or maybe I need winter ones and summer ones? Hmm.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    bossymoo wrote: »

Tomorrow I will do work trousers / skirts. Since I only work three days a week, and one of those is at home, I'm sure I don't actually need more than 2 pairs of office trousers and a skirt. or maybe I need winter ones and summer ones? Hmm.

De-lurks to say -bossymoo have a look at this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3958507
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure