Is the cash withdraw limit e.g. £300.00 really the limit?

Comments

• Griffboy
    Griffboy Posts: 71 Forumite
    Five years ago I went into the Abbey to withdraw £15000, the only problem she had with that was her worry about me carrying this amount around in cash. Perhaps I look stupid. :p Anyway, She gave me a bankers' cheque in the end.
  • McSaver
    McSaver Posts: 609 Forumite
    Im With Alliance & Leicester and my daily limit is £250 at the ATM
    Had £80,000 in Savings - All GONE!!! BYE BYE
    :A Single, 27, Aspie, Gooner :A
  • With HSBC and a standard debit card the ATM limit is £300
  • I was behind someone in a bank queue, he wanted 2k cash, they said no ID, no cash.

Which got me wondering, would it have been possible to go round 40 supermarkets, buy some chewing gum and get £50 cash back each time?

I'm pretty sure that cashback counts as a card purchase, so no daily limit?
  • notis7
    notis7 Posts: 81 Forumite
    Depending on who you are with, Bank wise, and what type of bank account you have you can withdraw 250, 300, 500 and £1k from an atm machine!

I am aware that most banks now a days have floor limits about how much you can withdraw from the branch without notice - in and around £1k per day and usually require 48 hour notice for you to collect a larger sum!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I am aware that most banks now a days have floor limits about how much you can withdraw from the branch without notice - in and around £1k per day and usually require 48 hour notice for you to collect a larger sum!
    Thats mostly with the ex building societies. The traditional banks (mainly the big 4) tend to have limits only based on what cash they have available in the branch. A mid sized branch could pretty much handle an unexpected request for upto £20-50k depending on the time of day and what day of the week it is and what business customers they have.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I withdrew £15,000 from Abbey over the counter just under five years ago.
  • I withdrew 3500 from halifax over the counter , just had to show bank card and driving licence. No prior notice was needed but did have to withdraw from the business banking section
    Good manners cost nothing -
    Bad manners cost friends !
    Murphys No More Pies member #213
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have withdrawn thousands over the counter from HSBC, had to show ID, but otherwise no problem. Have also withdrawn thousands from NatWest years ago when I closed my account with them and didn't want to wait around for them to deal with my new bank (didn't have internet banking back then). No problem at all.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • Afahmaep
    Afahmaep Posts: 293 Forumite
    Slightly off topic but still relevant. How much money is actually kept in ATMs.
    Especially on Bank Holidays machines have run out of cash or Out of Order by Monday night.
    Do different banks have different facilities or is everything standardised.
    I have on 1 occasion 2 years ago used 10 different cards to withdraw £250 off each and walked away with £3k in my pocket out of one machine (all my own cards by the way).
    Old Saying Once bitten twice shy
    Modern Saying Once Sh*t on Twice Bye!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family