PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Comments

• @dgtazzman oh my !! I honestly think hearing your 'story' is so valuable. Major issues can be caused by delays. It's the main risk of buying a new build, especially once you have exchanged and are committed.

Our mortgage offer expired due to build delays and we had along struggle getting it renewed due to change of circumstances and new EU lending criteria.

I wish you all the luck, it took us 7 weeks of trying but we got there in the end. Again our build like yours was due to December and we are now due to hit the long stop date end of this month.
  • mleach101
    mleach101 Posts: 85 Forumite
    @dgtazzman oh my !! I honestly think hearing your 'story' is so valuable. Major issues can be caused by delays. It's the main risk of buying a new build, especially once you have exchanged and are committed.

Our mortgage offer expired due to build delays and we had along struggle getting it renewed due to change of circumstances and new EU lending criteria.

I wish you all the luck, it took us 7 weeks of trying but we got there in the end. Again our build like yours was due to December and we are now due to hit the long stop date end of this month.

Did you/your legal reps specify the long-stop date or was it included by default by the builders? I ask because I'm due to sign contracts this week in advance of exchanging and wanted to know if it's something I need to ask for if for no other reason it seems to be a good way of leveraging incentives from the builders if there's a delay.

As for Santander, I got my mortgage offer back within four days of applying though I suspect mine was fairly straightforward and didn't include any foreign currency salary. Best of luck with it DGTazzman.
  • dgtazzman
    dgtazzman Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    It should be included as a standard clause, but check the builder hasn't been overly generous to themselves, seen some give themselves a year beyond the expected completion date. I told my sols to make sure the long stop date was within reason, so in the end the sols agreed to have it coincide with the expiry date of my original mortgage offer amongst themselves, which seemed more than reasonable to me.
  • bt1
    bt1 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    @dgtazzman oh no! this isn't a good story! But at least it looks to all be going in the right direction now!

We did our options meeting at the weekend! We got £7.3k worth(excluding flooring)

We went for:
    Integrated kitchen. £3500
    Downlights in lounge £480
    Additional TV points £140
    Shower in bathroom and tiles to ceiling £650
    1/2 way up tiles in bathroom and En-suite £1000
    Heated towel rails - £570
    Turf £500
    External Lights £200
    External Tap £65
    External Power £100

We want laminate in the hall and lounge, they had the flooring in the sales office but we didn't like any of them, and will most likely get that done after we move in. Just waiting for their carpet/vinyl prices for the other rooms! :)

I haven't asked TW for an update on completion date, (we haven't exchanged yet as there is another delay with the contracts), but I reckon we will be one of the first in! June/July they originally said!
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bt1 wrote: »

We did our options meeting at the weekend! We got £7.3k worth(excluding flooring)

We went for:
    Integrated kitchen. £3500
    Downlights in lounge £480
    Additional TV points £140
    Shower in bathroom and tiles to ceiling £650
    1/2 way up tiles in bathroom and En-suite £1000
    Heated towel rails - £570
    Turf £500
    External Lights £200
    External Tap £65
    External Power £100

We want laminate in the hall and lounge, they had the flooring in the sales office but we didn't like any of them, and will most likely get that done after we move in. Just waiting for their carpet/vinyl prices for the other rooms! :)

£7,300 excluding flooring is serious money! - our flooring was over £6,500 (had we had to pay it) - its amazing how quick it adds up, I'm not looking forward to our meeting - likely me and the other half will fall out lol :D
  • baxt3r
    baxt3r Posts: 42 Forumite
    Thanks all.

Been a busy week of sorting bits around the house and away for a few days so not been online, still really happy with the quality and found so little in regards to snagging..

One issue we have come across is with the phone line, we'd scheduled Virgin as we also got the 3 months, they came and did the TV but not the phone line citing the exchange was full so there was no room to give us a line. We're trying to sort it now but finding they're customer service so far quite poor as they've not come back to us. It sounds like its a common issue so I'd recommend you all check when signing up with any provider

Tygermoth - hope you get yours sorted, it's a shame they've come back with that decision but at least it sounds like you have another option.

Haylescom - They're releasing them in stages and the houses across the road have been occupied for a while now and a couple down as well. Just waiting for neighbours now!
  • bt1
    bt1 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    visidigi wrote: »
    £7,300 excluding flooring is serious money! - our flooring was over £6,500 (had we had to pay it) - its amazing how quick it adds up, I'm not looking forward to our meeting - likely me and the other half will fall out lol :D

:O !! I was thinking it would be more like £2-3k! we only need stairs and upstairs carpets, and vinyl in kitchen, and bathroom/toilet/ensuite. Will have to wait to see what TW say!
  • dgtazzman
    dgtazzman Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    That seems like way over the odds for flooring. Having my house done will be around 2.5k. This is a 3-bed detached of nearly 1400 sqft with around 70% mid-range Quickstep laminate and 30% high quality carpet. Bathrooms will be tiled floors, but negotiated that with the builders, wasn't having any of their cheap vinyl in there, so no cost for that.

Have the flooring done by your own trade, will save you a fortune and any half-decent builder will let them in during the days before legal completion.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bt1 wrote: »
    :O !! I was thinking it would be more like £2-3k! we only need stairs and upstairs carpets, and vinyl in kitchen, and bathroom/toilet/ensuite. Will have to wait to see what TW say!

Tiles, but more so the Amtico are seriously expensive...

The best news I've had all day was the mortgage co aren't bothered by the carpet incentive coming off the value.

Happy days!
  • chlo88
    chlo88 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Congratulations to all those that are in or nearly in! Not much going on with us, we went for a stalk and the roof is on now.

We have two meetings there next week a welcome meeting and a pre plaster meeting. Apparently at the pre plaster meeting we find out if they are still on track for June. Fingers crossed. I'll update you all once we've been.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure