Best place to buy cabin luggage for Ryanair.

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Ihenetu
    Mrs_Ihenetu Posts: 117 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2011 at 8:24PM
    Options
    Have as few questions ...

I have a bag which is 4cms too wide (55x24x30cms). I plan on not filling it all the way so that it'll still fit in the guage. Will this be ok?

Also i plan on buying some nappies after security and putting them into the bag (out of packaging) which will probably make the bag over 20cms wide (i figured enough nappies for 2 children for a week would use up too much of my baggage allowance to make it viable to buy nappies pre check in). Do ryanair re-measure the bags before you get on the plane?

Thirdly i'm planning on taking 2 buggies with a blanket on each to cover the kiddies (11months and 3years). Will i be expected to put these into the bag before putting it into the guage? Will there be any problem with me takng 2 buggies?

Thanks to anyone who can help answer my queries (will be flying out from london luton if that makes any difference to the answers)

To make this question relate to the original subject the bag i'll be using is the 'Tesco value classic travel holdall' which is under £10
    Married since 28/04/2007

Mummy to DS born 16/04/2008 and DD born 04/06/2010

:iloveyou: my precious family :smileyhea
  • hunhunJudit
    Options
    hi there,

I just ordered a hand luggage from tesco. I cannot post the link, but you can find it, just google Tesco flower medium trolley case

the parameters were 52x41x20. yeah, well I know that for example at ryanair the size must be 55x40x20. but I thought that only 1 cm difference is not a big deal. but today i got the luggage and i am very disappointed that the actual size of the case and what the label said do not match. so my case is now around 55x 41x 23cm

now I am thinking on what to do. shall I return the case and ask for the money and then buy somewhere another one????? I don't know what to do. or it is gonna be okay? I don't know how serious does ryanair take the size allowance. and is the gauge really the given size or a bit bigger. cause I am afraid if they ask me to put the case in, it won't fit there.

any suggestions???
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    hi there,

I just ordered a hand luggage from tesco. I cannot post the link, but you can find it, just google Tesco flower medium trolley case

the parameters were 52x41x20. yeah, well I know that for example at ryanair the size must be 55x40x20. but I thought that only 1 cm difference is not a big deal. but today i got the luggage and i am very disappointed that the actual size of the case and what the label said do not match. so my case is now around 55x 41x 23cm

now I am thinking on what to do. shall I return the case and ask for the money and then buy somewhere another one????? I don't know what to do. or it is gonna be okay? I don't know how serious does ryanair take the size allowance. and is the gauge really the given size or a bit bigger. cause I am afraid if they ask me to put the case in, it won't fit there.

any suggestions???

When they do check luggage (and my experience is that if your baggage looks as if it might be 'on the big side', they will check), they are very serious indeed.

They may make you check it into the hold (at considerable expense) and if they stop you at the gate, they may make you go back through security to check-in to do that - and if check-in for your flight is closed, you miss the plane.

I'm not sure but I'd imagine the interior of the gauge is the exact measurements.
    The measurments also include handle & wheels.

If your bag is 'squishy' and not full, you might get away with it.

But if it were me, I wouldn't run that risk. I'd return the bag to Tesco and find one within the limits.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Have as few questions ...

I have a bag which is 4cms too wide (55x24x30cms). I plan on not filling it all the way so that it'll still fit in the guage. Will this be ok?

Also i plan on buying some nappies after security and putting them into the bag (out of packaging) which will probably make the bag over 20cms wide (i figured enough nappies for 2 children for a week would use up too much of my baggage allowance to make it viable to buy nappies pre check in). Do ryanair re-measure the bags before you get on the plane?

Thirdly i'm planning on taking 2 buggies with a blanket on each to cover the kiddies (11months and 3years). Will i be expected to put these into the bag before putting it into the guage? Will there be any problem with me takng 2 buggies?

Thanks to anyone who can help answer my queries (will be flying out from london luton if that makes any difference to the answers)

To make this question relate to the original subject the bag i'll be using is the 'Tesco value classic travel holdall' which is under £10

Sometimes they check baggage at the boarding gate - so yes, stuffing your oversized luggage with nappies might be a problem - then again, it might not.
    Nobody can give you a definitive answer.

Not sure about the buggies, maybe someone else can answer but if they do allow you to take the buggies, I'd have thought that you would have to keep the blankets with you as you wouldn't want them rolling round in the hold.
  • bobstheboy
    bobstheboy Posts: 631 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They have recently started using a cardboard frame, the internal measurements being they max size allowed, which they put over the case, if it fits ok, if not ......
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is a good news then, as it will mean, it does not include the wheels and top handle.

But how do they measure the depth/thick ??
    bobstheboy wrote: »
    They have recently started using a cardboard frame, the internal measurements being they max size allowed, which they put over the case, if it fits ok, if not ......
  • Pollycat
    edited 15 May 2011 at 11:03AM
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    This is a good news then, as it will mean, it does not include the wheels and top handle.

But how do they measure the depth/thick ??

Why won't it include the wheels and handles?

The case will be laid down in such a way so the cardboard box will fit over it.
    That might be upright or laid on its back or side, depending on the design.
    If the cardboard doesn't fit over or if it bulges out or doesn't touch the floor, the case will be too big.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ok, Got it.
    What is the advantage for them to use the card board instead the one which is already in place.

It is portable ? Cheaper to get ? so they could have many card boards in different places ? Just try think the reason behind it ...
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Why won't it include the wheels and handles?

The case will be laid down in such a way so the cardboard box will fit over it.
    That migt be upright or laid on it's back or side, depending on the design.
    If the cardboard doesn't fit over or if it bulges out or doesn't touch the floor, the case will be too big.
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Expanding (pardon the pun) on an old thread, I bought a case today from Wilkinsons. Exactly the right size for Ryanair - including wheels - a nice padded handle for carrying by hand and a zip compartment at the front for newspaper/boarding passes etc.
    It's also a lot lighter than my old cabin case and all for the princely sum of £9.00! :j
    It may not be the sturdiest case in the world, but for use as hand luggage I think it's a bargain. It says it's sold out on the website, but look in one of their stores (as I did) and see if they have any in stock if you're interested.
    Normal people worry me.
  • timbo1960
    Options
    Today, I bought the 20" Dunlop Trolley Case from a sportsdirect shop in Tamworth. With the handle on the top (not the expandable handle) it was about 1cm over the 55cm limit for RyanAir, all other measurements fell comfortably within the limits. I used a drill to take the tops off the two rivets holding the handle, unzipped the inner lining and pulled the rivets out allowing me to remove the handle completely. The measurement, with wheels etc. is now exactly 55cm. There are two small holes where the rivets used to be, but they are hardly visable at all and it only took me 10 minutes to complete the task.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure