how much is 40gb???

I have been considering changing broadband providers but I haven't got a clue as to what 40gb means! I am on umlinited right now but how do I find out how much I use and whether 40gb is enough. what happens when you use that amount? Do you get cut off?

I'm sorry is this is in the wrong place :confused:
You are only as old as the man you feel ;):p

Comments

• 40 GB is the equivalent of say... 95DVD videos compressed... or about 40,000 songs, or couple hundred thousand pictures.. See how big your computer hard disk is, and compare that to 40GB
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'd say about 60 CDs worth of storage space.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • So it depends on my downloads? I don't really download much to be honest but I surf alot and my work is via emails mainly. Would that count? I'm sorry to sound like an idiot!
  • Let's put it like this: if all you're doing online is browsing with the occasional download of a document or short video/music clip, then you're fine. If you're planning on listening to online radio/live TV, downloading TV shows, lots of songs, movies, software (from whichever sources) on a daily/regular basis and are also into online gaming, then 40gig may get you through a week or so :D.
  • happychikadee u'll be fine.. 40gigs sounds fine for u.
  • Thanks everyone x x
  • BillScarab
    BillScarab Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Who's the ISP? Most (possibly all) charge you extra if you exceed the download limit. If it happens regularly you can always upgrade to an unlimited package or one with a higher limit. However I'd be surprised if 40Gb isn't enough.
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

• espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have been considering changing broadband providers but I haven't got a clue as to what 40gb means! I am on umlinited right now but how do I find out how much I use and whether 40gb is enough.

Why don't you check how much you are actually using now.

See here for full details.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • [SIZE=+1]40 gigabytes = 42[SIZE=-2] [/SIZE]949[SIZE=-2] [/SIZE]672[SIZE=-2] [/SIZE]960 bytes[/SIZE]

:)

40gb a month means 1362mb a day (assuming a 30 day month). This is plenty, even if you plan to watch streaming video / radio. It would be like downloading nearly 2 CDs of data a day.
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

40 gigabytes = 40 000 000 000 bytes

40 gibibytes = 42 949 672 960 bytes

:D
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport