sky + box can i install myself

Options
hi i currently have a normal sky box with sky, but if i bought a used sky+ box is it easy enough to swap it over, or do i need a special engineer

sky have quoted me £99 for the box and £60 installation, but i can buy a used one for £50 and just swap it over will save me over £100

thanks
its only a bargain, if you need it or will use it.

:beer:

Comments

• Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    You need two feeds from your dish ( LNB ) for Sky+ to work fully.
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    Options
    If you have a quad lnb (four outputs on the part that sticks out from the dish to catch the reflected signal) and dual cable already in place - Yes.

If not you will need:

Quad lnb to replace your current one

Twin (or shotgun style sometimes called), enough length to go fromt eh dish to your box.

You can run the box with just 1 feed from the sat dish but you will lose functionality.

Watch 1 program only

or

Record 1 program only (you can watch the same thing though)

or

Record 1 program whilst watching something off the Hard Drive previously recorded.

Ben
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • Moneymaker
    Moneymaker Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you google 'installing sky digital TV' you'll find tons of "how to" web sites.
  • TonyLisaP
    TonyLisaP Posts: 505 Forumite
    Options
    It is very simple to do, I did it myself. Buy a Quad LNB and replace the single one on your dish, then run a second cable down to your sky+ box. You will have two feeds now. Don't forget you will have to subscribe to sky for sky + which is about another £10 per month (free if you have 2 or more premium channels, I.E movies and sports)
  • fudge7000
    fudge7000 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    pretty sure that theres no extra charge for sky plus now.
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, £250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

:beer: :beer: :beer:
  • arealhighlander
    Options
    Thats what I thought, they used to charge £10, but nothing now.

As stated, Sky+ needs two feeds from the dish to work fully (you can use the box temporarily until you install the second feed, make sure you connect your LNB to Input 1 on the box). You CAN use the Sky + box on a single LNB fix but its a bit of a pain and you dont get the full Sky + services.

See http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=357300 and see here for details on help in installing the new LNB for Sky + (having problems getting the forum accept this web address, delete the extra space after the word satcure) www.satcure .co.uk/tech/page10.htm. This details on running Sky + on one LNB output
    www.satcure .co.uk/tech/page18.htm#onecable

You need to phone Sky when you swap the box to tell them your card serial number and receiver serial number to match them together (otherwise your card wont work in the new box).

You can usually install a new Quad LNB without having to realign your dish.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure