Android Pay limit in supermarkets

Options
Tesco's, Sainsbury's and Morrisons' social media teams have all told me that they only accept Android Pay up to £30 (Asda have yet to reply).

Has anyone had any experience to the contrary (Android pay being accepted for > £30 in any of these stores when phone is unlocked)?

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am not an Android user so don't know the answer but if you shop at Tesco and use PayQwiq, there is no £30 limit (funds on your card allowing, of course).
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    I am not an Android user so don't know the answer but if you shop at Tesco and use PayQwiq, there is no £30 limit (funds on your card allowing, of course).

I'm interested because of the current 5% cashback offer for using a Santander 123 Lite debit card with either Android Pay or Apple Pay, but sadly not PayQwiq.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    If your shopping come to more than £30 why not go through the tills - pay and take your goods to the car then start all over again?!?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This article suggests that Android Pay allows payments between £30 and £100 if authenticated, but it may be that supermarkets have not implemented that functionality.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/everything-you-need-to-know-about-android-pay-in-the-uk-1321615
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    I know it's not the same thing but I recently had an email from Sainsbury's saying they've removed the limit for Apple Pay. If they haven't already removed it for Android I imagine it won't be long.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've successfully paid (a little) more than £30 in Sainsburys using Android Pay, but failed in Tesco.
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 755 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I tried ~£54 in Tesco on Android Pay and was refused.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It should be the same as ApplePay, Sainsbury's, Aldi and LIDL have it correctly provisioned to allow >£30 purchases, Morrisons are apparently trialing the higher limit, Tesco and Asda are clueless and think it's just contactless.

On the non-food side, I've seen that IKEA has the higher limit as well.
    ====
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Yes you can spend more than £30 in Sainsbury's, Lidl and Aldi-IKEA also allow higher value payments.

From what I can gather Tesco are trailing it at three stores in/around the Welwyn Garden City area.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • john1002
    john1002 Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm finding most places these days that accept contactless who take applepay I can spend more than £30 on my Apple Watch. Cosyclub, clarks and Aldi to name a few, surprisingly McDonald's don't though.

Very handy and convenient.

John
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family