Buying a garden shed (possibly online)?

I've reluctantly come to accept that we're going to have to have a wooden shed rather than the block built one i want as it'll simply take too long to save for a block built shed.
The current one is approx 9ft-x-7ft & i'll be looking at about a 12ft-x-11ft. Would've been a tad bigger for block but for timber i'll go 12x11.

Has anyone here used any online shed builder websites & can either rate or slate them?

Also can anyone offer any pointers, things to look out for or include etc that i may not think of? The base too?

We'll be storing a couple of bikes in there, power washer, a big jumbo bag of kindling, i'd want to store a tool chest in there, depending on how much weight it could take & whether that'd be an ok/bad idea.
I've seen the father in law's shed he got & one thing i noticed was that i'd like to have some sort of insulation but don't know whether this would present its own problems or not. Whatever thickness i could have & then ply boards on top maybe. Maybe insulation also at the roof & board this out also perhaps, or maybe that'd be overkill.

If you can't already tell - i'm clueless :)

Comments

• d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Have a look at tigersheds. Our house came with this one. Feels sturdy and comes in different sizes and styles.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I must admit that when I had the task of replacing a shed for my mum I ended up buying a plastic shed as it was cheaper than the wooden version of the same size.

No need to stain it, replace the felt or patch it up as it rots.

Seriously though, If I were building for my use, it would be breeze block or brick. Plenty of each given away for free on my local freegle group.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I
    I've seen the father in law's shed he got & one thing i noticed was that i'd like to have some sort of insulation but don't know whether this would present its own problems or not. Whatever thickness i could have & then ply boards on top maybe. Maybe insulation also at the roof & board this out also perhaps, or maybe that'd be overkill.

If you can't already tell - i'm clueless :)
    Don't insulate a shed with any kind of fibre material. Water will get in and it won't get out. I speak from experience of the idiot who left me a shed here, soggily insulated.

And against what? I bet he never worked in it on a freezing day!
  • Little point insulating it if there's no heat source/fire.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Spend the money to get a proper roof(not felt)

get it off the ground ideally with ventilation under.

if getting things like builders bags full in, needs to have wide double doors to take a wide wheeled load.

if you want a 365day man cave that will probably need more money than a shed, decent power & maybe water
  • Chrishazle
    Chrishazle Posts: 609
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    +1 for Tiger sheds - just helped a friend build his second one, good quality and reasonable price. We'd previously built a cheap one, was an absolute nightmare!!

3x3 fence posts are good for keeping the base of the shed off the ground, also make it fairly easy to get level before putting the base down.

The 20x10 Tiger shed we've just built has 43mm framing, so insulating it would be fairly easy using 40mm Klingspan then 12mm ply - which is what I did when I built my workshop.

Consider a pent shed rather than a traditional pitch roof, much easier to build!!
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,410
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A guy near here runs https://www.smithssectionalbuildings.co.uk/

He builds to order whatever you want - it may be worth a call perhaps??
  • patman99 wrote: »
    No need to stain it, replace the felt or patch it up as it rots.

Seriously though, If I were building for my use, it would be breeze block or brick.
    I know tannalised can rot but it's better than dipped or untreated and it'd be what i'd be looking at going if i went with a timber shed.

Of course i would prefer block built but the cost dictates and i could afford a timber shed many years sooner than a block built shed, unfortunately. If it was just one or two years then i'd wait it out but it's going to be a good number of years. Too much to wait.
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Don't insulate a shed with any kind of fibre material. Water will get in and it won't get out. I speak from experience of the idiot who left me a shed here, soggily insulated.

And against what? I bet he never worked in it on a freezing day!
    I was thinking on the lines of Kingspan / Quinntherm / Celotex etc. Would this be ok material? I can source damaged sheets at low/no cost.
    I wasn't thinking on the lines of rockwool
    Spend the money to get a proper roof(not felt)
    what do you mean by 'proper' roof?

I've heard of these 'shingles' being used for a roof but we had some specially ordered in for a customer last week & they're pretty thin things i noticed.

Out of interest, what is so bad about felt? And i mean reasonable felt - not top of the range £1000 per square inch but also not your wafer thin 10p per 100sq mtr either.
    if getting things like builders bags full in, needs to have wide double doors to take a wide wheeled load.
    This wont be necessary actually. I'll just put the bag in there & fill it whilst it's in. It's how i've done it in the existing shed. Just stick the bag in the corner & bring the kindling that i cut up at my mothers in 25kg bags and 'pour' in. :)
    if you want a 365day man cave that will probably need more money than a shed, decent power & maybe water
    I'm not Mr DIY so i wont be spending my days in there to be honest.
    Really, what i'm looking for is just something that'll be dry, warm enough (but not toasty so i have to strip off in the middle of winter) and spacious with enough space to accommodate anything that may get thrown in in the future that i haven't yet planned for. It wont be a workshop where i'm making a load of things out of wood or whatever. All that's beyond me :)
    Chrishazle wrote: »
    Consider a pent shed rather than a traditional pitch roof, much easier to build!!
    Aside from the ease of building, is there any pros/cons to either or is it purely just personal preference on the looks front?

And thanks for the link JB :)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

I was thinking on the lines of Kingspan / Quinntherm / Celotex etc. Would this be ok material? I can source damaged sheets at low/no cost.
    I wasn't thinking on the lines of rockwool:)

Solid insulation, like Kinsgpan will be fine. Had that in the roof of the shed I inherited.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    what do you mean by 'proper' roof?

I've heard of these 'shingles' being used for a roof but we had some specially ordered in for a customer last week & they're pretty thin things i noticed.

Out of interest, what is so bad about felt? And i mean reasonable felt - not top of the range £1000 per square inch but also not your wafer thin 10p per 100sq mtr either.

Felt will need replacing sooner than you want.

Many are going for EPDM Rubber Membrane Roof Covering
    like used on this Tiger one.
    http://www.tigersheds.com/product/tiger-garden-studio/

to replace my felt roof I went for Bitumen corrugated sheet like
    http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/coroline-black-roof-sheet---2m-397258
    they are 2.6 there is 3mm Onduline.

Still think a big/double door makes a shed easier to get stuff in/out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure