Change career at 28?

Hi

I currently work in the Aerospace industry for one of the largest aircraft manufacturers I'm 28 I begin this career 5 years ago. At first it was my dream job but after 18 months with no new AC bieng designed my role was subbed out and I was forced into a different role.

At first I was indifferent but after doing the role for over 2 years now I HATE it with a passion its tedious beyond comprehension I also have a less than helpful boss who attempts to bully his employees into doing unnecessary overtime because he thinks it makes him look good.

Additionlly the company seems to mesure performance by setting you arbitrary and inconsequential "objectives" rather than real world performance ie bieng good at the actual job and getting real results. These objectives are often a word salad of complex sounding buzz words that don't mean anything to anyone except the person paid (no doubt highly) to think them up.

Much time is wasted on meetings about meetings hours of power point presentation for things that could be explained in 2 sentences and extreme micro management by people who have no knowledge of the job. Point any of this out however and you are"problematic" there is a prevalent culture of "we know it's BS but just keep your head down and go with it"

Sorry for the rant but I'm seriously thinking of changing career completly somthing not office based. Has anyone jgot any experience of this? Just going for it?

I'd be interested in hearing from you
Thanks

Comments

• Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Some employers are stuck in a rut and will only accept a tick list of qualifications and experience, but if you find a company or job advertisement you're interested in, have a go and see if you can convince them that the transferable skills you'll bring to the role would be good for them.

Some workplace cultures are worth fighting against, and colleagues might see reason, but when it's like you describe, it's not worth it. Get out of there (amicably) and let them get on with it. Sometimes it happens if you didn't realise what the culture was like until you started there, sometimes a turnover of staff can change a culture from one you felt at home with to one you hate and sometimes the company has good reasons for doing it that way, it's just that their reasons aren't compatible with yours.

Good luck.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    28? You're a baby! Yes, go out and grab your dream by the... sensitive bits. You are young enough to train for virtually anything.

What would you REALLY like to do? Could you bear to stay where you are and qualify through part time study for something else?
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Would you like to stay with the company but move to another department ? Maybe something not office based or is it all office based where you are.

Or

Do you want to completely leave and do something your interested in ?
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    I went from working in a jobcentre into midwifery in my late twenties
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    RAF Engineer?
  • Thanks for the replys I am attempting to move within the company to a role that would match my skills as my current job does not. However the experience has left me with a bad impresion of the company with its silly objective based ideology which is why I'm thinking of leaving it entirely.

I like the idea of becoming a firefighter totally different to my current job and I like exercise and psychical activity.Sitting at a desk doing no physical activity all day make me feel bad like I'm building up anger. Problem is that they don't hire often only ever couple of years and maybe only one or 2 people will be hired. If they hired all the time I would already have applied
  • Not RAF I work on civilian passenger jets I dont want to mention the company name but it makes passenger jets there's only two big names to guess from
  • cavework
    cavework Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2017 at 3:03PM
    You and only you are responsible for getting the job you think you want or are worth..

Thanks for the replys I am attempting to move within the company to a role that would match my skills as my current job does not. However the experience has left me with a bad impresion of the company with its silly objective based ideology which is why I'm thinking of leaving it entirely.

Why does the company you work for have to make sure that your aims in life are met? You are obviously not happy there ..you have the ability and the skills to search and find another company willing to employ you ,one that meets your requirements as an employee.?............take some responsibility for your own future here ..
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Not RAF I work on civilian passenger jets I dont want to mention the company name but it makes passenger jets there's only two big names to guess from

Air traffic control? That wouldn't be boring!
  • cavework wrote: »
    You and only you are responsible for getting the job you think you want or are worth..

Thanks for the replys I am attempting to move within the company to a role that would match my skills as my current job does not. However the experience has left me with a bad impresion of the company with its silly objective based ideology which is why I'm thinking of leaving it entirely.

Why does the company you work for have to make sure that your aims in life are met? You are obviously not happy there ..you have the ability and the skills to search and find another company willing to employ you ,one that meets your requirements as an employee.?............take some responsibility for your own future here ..

The company isn't responsible and I never claimed it was! I said I am trying to move to a role that suits me better. I am trying everything I can to move. What makes me want to leave is the policy and ridiculous priorities the company have. Stupid objectives that have nothing to do with the job.

Example. Your a skilled engineer with a degree in engineering, your job is to help design aircraft BUT you are told by someone in HR with a mickey mouse degree that you have failed your objective to "synergistically extend backward compatible core competencies" and because of this you are a poor employee.

Example.2 you think spending 2 hours in a Health and safety meeting about how to walk down a flight of stairs safely is ridiculous. You are told you are the problem

Example.3 Minor Internal processes are prioritized over actual work for our customers because it ticks boxes and make the manager look good on his annual review meanwhile customer satisfaction continues to fall!! Point this out and you are the problem.

Example 4. Micro managed by people with NO experience or knowledge of your job. Told to do things that do not work. argue that its not the correct way and your the problem. Do what they say and go along with it it fails because of the reasons you said and its STILL your fault.

could go on forever with these things that frustrate the hell out of me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure