Electric rotary shaver

Comments

• kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2017 at 6:59PM
    I don't doubt I could replace internal batteries so long as the thing came apart cleanly but I suspect many simply bin them when the charge retention gets to be annoying. Come to that many could just be used on the charging lead although I know some won't work that way.

I looked at the price of a replacement head and decided to buy a new cheap shaver at around a third of the price they wanted. It works well enough and I won't feel any compunction to look for replacement heads or take it apart in the hope the batteries can be replaced at less the the price of a new one.

I still consider £150 for a shaver to be taking the mickey.

===
    Just looked up te one I bought in store ..

https://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-rotary-shaver/471-5589.prd?skuId=471-5589

They actually do an even cheaper one but I see that has a single poor review.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Funnily enough I bought a cheap Tesco shaver when my charger for the other one packed up some time ago. Mine's the 2 head one.
    Bit noisy, and not as "nice" feeling as the Phillips, but does the job, and has been in use for some time now.
    I'm a beard wearer though, and only shave in places.
    And I'd agree. I'm not paying a hundred and fifty quid for a shaver! :eek:
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Argos Phillips travel shaver, about £15, takes 2 AA ( can be rechargeable ) batteries.
    After a few weeks, buy another, and use it for "best".
    When either are no good, buy another, and bin the oldest one.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    well just think pay £30 or pay £150 at the end of the day they all do the same job
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    There's a lot to be said for investigating whether the IPL hair removal system works properly and safely on men's faces. Shaving must be the biggest waste of time that men have to endure on a daily basis!
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    John_Gray wrote: »
    Shaving must be the biggest waste of time that men have to endure on a daily basis!

Couldn't agree more - see post #4. I've had one rechargeable beard trimmer that I use about once a fortnight, I replaced the batteries about 20 years ago, they don't hold the charge any more but it still works plugged in. That should see me out.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • khris210
    khris210 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Capn Birdseye lookalike! I've had a two head Philips rotary (mains only) for must be 20 or more years now. I sharpened the blades about 5 years ago using Brasso and a sheet of glass. It has a flip out trimmer which sadly no longer works, so I bought a Remington foil which has a very good swivelling trimmer set. Unfortunately it gives a terrible shave, so I shave daily with the Philips and trim weekly with the Remington. When I need a good shave as opposed to a daily light mow, I use pre-electric solution(?) with the Philips. I have a tough wiry beard and use them for "man scaping". Short answer- sharpen the blades, see sentence 2 above!
  • EssexExile wrote: »
    I've had a beard since 1969, I'd recommend it.

I hope your husband doesn't mind :rotfl:
  • Kamran
    Kamran Posts: 477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    6 months ago I switched from wet shaving to the Phillips OneBlade - absolutely love it.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Who are these 'experts' of whom you speak?

Are you not falling victim to the argument from authority logical fallacy?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure