Weird reception issue

Options
bobblebob
bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 11 July 2017 at 8:51PM in Phones & TV
We have a splitter in the house feeding 3 TVs. Aerial guy has tested the signal and says its plenty strong enough to handle 3 tvs. Anyway had no issues whatsoever with it, then tonight the signal strength is jumping all over the place, while the signal quality stays at 100%. Bit error rates too and kept losing signal. No other TV in the house was effected. I changed the cable leading to my TV into a different port on the splitter to check its not the splitter, yet same results.

Anyway left it 10 mins, and everything is back to normal. 100% signal strength on all channels. What could cause their brief issue? Its raining abit outside by nothing major. I can only think of 2 possible causes

1) The cable over the roof has been damaged over the years (although that doesnt explain why its ok now) or
2) There was a bird on the aerial/cable? Would a bird seriously effect the signal though? I noticed the other morning 2 big birds near the aerial but again why only effect 1 tv?

Comments

• bubieyehyeh
    bubieyehyeh Posts: 587 Forumite
    Options
    Any new 4G mobile basestation nearby?
  • bobblebob
    edited 11 July 2017 at 10:44PM
    Options
    None that i know of, although not sure how you can find out if new basestations have been built. In what way would that cause a signal dropout on 1 tv in the house for a short period? As i understand 4G and Freeview frequence can interfere with a small number of homes but it happens all the time, not just for 10 minutes like in my case. Not to mention the other TVs were uneffected
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you checked/remade the coax plug connections on the TV/splitter ends of the cable? May be a bad connection.
  • bobblebob
    Options
    Yup connections all look good. Weird how it just stopped doing it by itself
  • Spelunthus
    Spelunthus Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Rain ? Either heavy rain affects signal reception, or the cable path lies in an area that fills up with water in heavy rain, and works again when it dries out . I had this.
  • bobblebob
    Options
    It was raining yesterday but nothing major. And when the issue stopped, it was still raining a little. Never had this before but will see next time it rains. The cable is over the roof so no chance of standing water
  • bubblesbonbon
    Options
    Sounds to me like a transmitter fault or maybe weather related degradation.

This "tool" can identify the former

http://www.bbc.co.uk/receptionsearch
    "It's nice to be important but more important to be nice"

John Templeton 1912-2008
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it's only affecting one of the TV's then it could be the TV itself, not all TV's are made equal (even if they're the same model). If it happens again try moving the TV to a different connection to rule it out.
  • bobblebob
    Options
    Sounds to me like a transmitter fault or maybe weather related degradation.

This "tool" can identify the former

http://www.bbc.co.uk/receptionsearch

No faults listed. And if it was a transmitter fault, why were the other TVs in the house not effected on freeview? I suspect its the cable going to that TV that's at fault. Whether its degraded due to weather, or some bird was having a nibble on it I don't know. Until it happens again hard to pinpoint
  • bobblebob
    Options
    If it's only affecting one of the TV's then it could be the TV itself, not all TV's are made equal (even if they're the same model). If it happens again try moving the TV to a different connection to rule it out.

Yea good point will try that, thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport