How can you claim from Royal Mail for non delivery?

I have sent three items recently all by special delivery guaranteed by 1pm next day. On the Track and Trace it says for one of the items "We can confirm that this item was was delivered by the guaranteed delivery time" but on the other 2 items it merely says "This item has been delivered".

I have been informed by the recipients that these 2 items did not arrive next day by 1PM but how can I prove that to make a claim when Royal Mail are not putting the time online that it was delivered?

Comments

• deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Yes its a scam that has been going for years if it says "Item has been delivered" you can bet its been delivered late ,happened to me many a time, just ring up and ask if they can track a parcel, give them the tracking number and ask the exact time and date it was delivered, then just ask for a refund they will issue a cheque straight away.
  • Can they give you a time? Won't they just look it up on a computer and get the same info as I am getting online?
  • zax47
    zax47 Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    edited 14 November 2009 at 11:09PM
    Their tracking system is not real-time, in fact it often takes several days to have the full correct delivery data.

If you want to make a claim then go to the Royal Mail site - it tells you how to claim.

Here's the claim form (P58);

ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/public/ctf/rm/Inland_P58_form_English_09.pdf

and here's more info on claiming;

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content2?catId=69800733&mediaId=80300735

And here's what you can claim (for delayed delivery on Special Delivery Next Day by 1.00pm Service)

From the FAQs;

"10. What if something goes wrong?
    Please keep your proof of posting receipt. If your item is not delivered on time we’ll refund your money providing you have your proof of posting and claim within 14 days of posting."

The onus is not on you to prove they didn't arrive on time - but on them to prove they did!
  • zax47 wrote: »
    Their tracking system is not real-time, in fact it often takes several days to have the full correct delivery data.

If you want to make a claim then go to the Royal Mail site - it tells you how to claim.

Here's the claim form (P58);

ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/public/ctf/rm/Inland_P58_form_English_09.pdf

and here's more info on claiming;

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content2?catId=69800733&mediaId=80300735

And here's what you can claim (for delayed delivery on Special Delivery Next Day by 1.00pm Service)

From the FAQs;

"10. What if something goes wrong?
    Please keep your proof of posting receipt. If your item is not delivered on time we’ll refund your money providing you have your proof of posting and claim within 14 days of posting."

The onus is not on you to prove they didn't arrive on time - but on them to prove they did!

Thanks for that. The 'claim within 14 days' has ruled out one of them
  • deanos
    You dont need to fill in a claim form, they do it on the phone straight awayand can see the time it was delivered , ive claimed for late SD delivey many a time, all been done on the phone.
  • deanos wrote: »
    You dont need to fill in a claim form, they do it on the phone straight awayand can see the time it was delivered , ive claimed for late SD delivey many a time, all been done on the phone.

True, but you need to phone an 0871 number which costs money, or you can send it to a freepost address.
    Success and failure is determined by effort.
  • jd87
    jd87 Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can get the claim form from the post office and give it back to the post office to send off. No need to waste money on printing, envelopes or phone calls.

You don't need to prove that it arrived late. There is a space on the form to put what time it arrived, but if you don't know I'm sure you can just leave it blank. The main thing is the tracking reference number. As long as you have this, that will be all the info they need.
  • jd87 wrote: »
    You can get the claim form from the post office and give it back to the post office to send off. No need to waste money on printing, envelopes or phone calls.

You don't need to prove that it arrived late. There is a space on the form to put what time it arrived, but if you don't know I'm sure you can just leave it blank. The main thing is the tracking reference number. As long as you have this, that will be all the info they need.

and fill it in at the PO with their pen for extra money saving :D

is it likely that all the "this item has been delivered" ones that don't give a time when you check online are all late deliveries?

It's no wonder the royal mail are in such a mess if they are paying out more than they are making on next day parcel deliveries
  • deanos
    is it likely that all the "this item has been delivered" ones that don't give a time when you check online are all late deliveries?

Very likely !
  • deanos
    Got a special delivery due today, its now 13:14 so its late, be intresting to see what i get on the tracker !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure