Mortgage Free by April 2017

Comments

• Hi JimLad & MissWillow,

I've just discovered and read your thread. Well done on the progress so far. I shall subscribe!
    Very tempting to try and convince my OH to sign up to Airbnb!!

Fliparoo
  • not long til xmas and the 1st of Jan which means we will be able to do our 10% for 2016. That should bring the mortgage down to the mid 70's. I've been super good this month and have not been tempted by the sales or online shopping... definitely worth seeing the savings pot for the mortgage fund go up.
  • JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Fliparoo wrote: »
    Hi JimLad & MissWillow,

I've just discovered and read your thread. Well done on the progress so far. I shall subscribe!
    Very tempting to try and convince my OH to sign up to Airbnb!!

Fliparoo

Very pleased to have inspired you Flip! Definately look into giving Airbnb a go its great fun and makes loads of money! :T

Send the OH here if you need us to convince them
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • Hello everyone,

Happy New Year and what a good year 2016 will be. We have just made our 10% max overpayment allowance of £8,360. This reduces our mortgage to £75k and brings the term to 10 years. We are absolutely delighted:):)
    We already have a good chunk saved for our next overpayment in November this year when our fixed term ends, we go onto the SVR and we can do unlimited overpayments without penalty.

Have set ourselves an ambitions but achievable monthly savings target of £2500, we won't be able to do this every month but i think the motivation to achieve will help... i'm already thinking what do we have to sell on ebay.....

To recap, we took out our mortgage 4 years 3 months ago, reduced the term from 30 years to 10 years and the amount we owe from £155k to £75k....woop woop.....

Plan is to be fully mortgage free by March 2017, which is a whole month earlier than our aim:)
  • Luckyinlife
    Luckyinlife Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Happy new year guys :]
    Great OP :] and really nice term as well top stuff :]

Amazing really what can be done isnt it when you get down to it 155k to 75k in 4 years amazing :]
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
  • Congratulations to you both, a fantastic overpayment for the new year.
    House purchased November 2013
    Original MF Date: January 2045 - £104,400
    Current MF Date: April 2030- £48,719. 75
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Fab overpayment!
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Hello you have been flying, :) makes so much difference when you are both on the same page. Good luck

Lgp
    Mortgage value was £135,000 now £43,218
    TCB total £1200
  • Thanks everyone, yes we are really pleased with our start to the new year.

Now, onto some new years resolutions, i probably along with a lot of the population want to trim down on the xmas weight gain. I did the 5:2 diet 2 years ago for about 5 months and found it really good, well difficult but effective so going to give that another go too.

Just sold a book on amazon too, so once i post that tomorrow should be about £30 coming our way. Every little helps
  • JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I just realised two things...

The first is that we can now say we will have our mortgage paid off NEXT YEAR!

Second, I havent done the side hustle update for december! Will get on that Asap!
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family