Tips when refurbishing a house?

Comments

• spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    1. Take your time over it.

2. go for non VAT registered workmen and save yourself 20%
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • diable
    diable Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    kabayiri wrote: »
    If you like music,

Buy a mahoosive amp and speakers play the music loud so you can hear it cleanly in whatever room you are in......
  • rygon
    rygon Posts: 748 Forumite
    I'd say the best thing i did was check the electrics when I first bought the house. Luckily didnt have anything moved in as the wiring was pretty bad (last person was a DIY enthusiast). Managed to rewire the whole house, and add loads more sockets.

I'd also say try and learn how to do the basic DIY tasks (changing lights, switches, tiling, bit of basic plumbing for when you get leaks etc). Saves loads on call out fees and contractors.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • taker920
    taker920 Posts: 1,359 Forumite
    • You will always need more kitchen cupboard space than you think
    • Do not spend hours trying to get a perfect stright line when painting - after two months you don't notice it anyway
    • Why oh why didn't I remove that chimney breast when the kitchen was gutted :mad:
    • Stripping back original floor boards seems like a great idea until (a) you decide to do the sanding yourself and (b) winter comes along and draughts start coming through the floor
    • There's a reason why the previous owners had textured wallpaper on the walls
    • Once you move in you can't be bothered to do anything
  • isotonic_uk
    isotonic_uk Posts: 350
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    kabayiri wrote: »
    If you like music, and want an integrated set up, I would plan out a zonal system, and run something like CAT5e to the celing locations where you may want to put these recessed speakers.

I'm just picking up on your bullet point :-
    "I bought a cheap infra-red repeater that means that my DVD player etc can be hidden in a cupboard. Great."

You sound like me, in that I don't want to see my music or video playing equipment, just hear it.

Have a look at Sonos as a start point, and work from there. :)

I would second that.... For a decent budget I would seriously consider a Sonos Z5 player or similar... I have been really impressed with this product.

I am confident if you purchased one though you would continue to add to a Sonos setup...its that good!!! no cabling to worry about

Whilst I dont have an ipad. I have played around with the Sonos app and the control you have for your music is excellent... I personally have the android and Mac app and both are impressive and usable.
  • jc808
    jc808 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2011 at 8:55AM
    - Get good detailed structural drawings made up
    - Go for an all in one builder/ main contractor: If the labourer !!!!s something up, not your problem. If the sparks is not happy cos the dryliner boxed in something he shouldnt have or cut cables, not your fault. etc
    - Recycle what you can - sell old metal/ piping if its worth it. If only a small amount leave it out for the gyppos. Burn wood offcuts in the back garden.
    - Dont try and recycle old sinks/ toilets/ boilers unless theyre brand new/ exc condition. More cost than buying new if its installed and leaks.
    - Get everything done in the right order: Planning/ Gutting/ Structural or building works(Includes ext windows and doors)/ Carpentry first fix/ Leccy first fix/ Gas and plumbing first fix/ Insulation and dryling or plastering/ Decorating/ Kitchen/ Leccy 2nd fix/ Plumbing second fix/ Carpentry second fix/ Fixtures and fittings and floors/ Carpentry finals/ Furnishing
  • cddc
    cddc Posts: 1,164
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Fired Earth paint is actually top stuff. Best paint I have ever used. I used to work for them in the 90's so got it at staff discount and just repainted my living room after 15 years, not because the paint was starting to look poor but I just got bored of the colour.

Price is stupid though. If you really want it try getting to their factory shop in Adderbury near Banbury where they sell off the dented tins cheap. This goes for anything from Fired Earth. Quality product but stupid price. You really are paying for the name.

Good thread though, just about to have an extension built myself so keep those tips coming!
  • busy_mom_2
    busy_mom_2 Posts: 1,391
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My smeg dishwasher just gone on the blink, 14 months old as well....
  • diable
    diable Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2011 at 10:31PM
    How much is the house worth and where is it located and a £100k refurbishment in Luton goes a lot further then £100k in Hampstead which is classed as not much.

Do you have high standards?

Taps = Hansgrohe
    Washing Machine = Miele
    Kitchen Equipment = Siemens or Neff
    Network - Fibre
    A boiler that takes 1o seconds to heat the water is normal as there is cold water in the pipe
    For the layout of the property get someone in who can visualise the space
  • panchenlama
    panchenlama Posts: 160 Forumite
    get a part time job at B&Q so you can get a discount card
    As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure