Every ebay customer must read this

MCGONIS
MCGONIS Posts: 699 Forumite
edited 14 March 2017 at 10:55AM in Praise, vent & warnings
Hi everyone.

I got a bit of a fright tonight after purchasing something off ebay.

I normally just click PURCHASE then PAYPAL and the whole thing does it for me without logging in etc.

Tonight though I got a right fright.

Now on 9/2/16 I got an email from ebay to say my account may have been hacked and to change my password. That they has restored my account to before the hack.

I changed my password on 9/2/16.

Tonight though I ordered a new plug for my bathroom basin. I clicked BUY NOW and then PAY WITH PAY PAL, but as I done this, I got a funny address and name flashing up on screen.

Someone has altered my account so deliveries now go to;
The bits before my postcode are total fraud.

Just to warn people of this.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    This is an issue you have and is not a warning for "every eBay customer".

I've just made a purchase and didn't have any issue.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 13 March 2017 at 9:14PM
    The Wisbech address is a uk shipping agent that posts to Russia called alfaparcel limited
  • MCGONIS
    This is an issue you have and is not a warning for "every eBay customer".

I've just made a purchase and didn't have any issue.

So that's rude.

My message is a warning to everyone with ebay. I am soooo PARA about passwords etc and none are the same.

I have made over 200 purchases and never had an issue. But recently all this has happened.

I want to let people know so be on guard with ebay.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MCGONIS wrote: »

Now on 9/2/16 I got an email from ebay to say my account may have been hacked and to change my password. That they has restored my account to before the hack.

You got a fake/phishing email with a false link that you clicked on the reset your account. The easiest way to spot a fake site/link is to hover your mouse pointer over the link and see what web address it says on the bottom left of your screen. Normally it will direct to a hijacked site with no link to eBay such a billsplumbingsupplies or bit/ly or !!!!!!!.com
    I changed my password on 9/2/16.

You gave up your username and password at this point and allowed the third party to log your details and access your account.
    The man without a signature.
  • theonlywayisup
    Forumite
    So that's rude.

My message is a warning to everyone with ebay. I am soooo PARA about passwords etc and none are the same.

I have made over 200 purchases and never had an issue. But recently all this has happened.

I want to let people know so be on guard with ebay.

What is rude?

200 and no issue is irrelevant. You have an issue NOW.

I don't.
  • MCGONIS
    vikingaero wrote: »
    You got a fake/phishing email with a false link that you clicked on the reset your account. The easiest way to spot a fake site/link is to hover your mouse pointer over the link and see what web address it says on the bottom left of your screen. Normally it will direct to a hijacked site with no link to eBay such a billsplumbingsupplies or bit/ly or !!!!!!!.com

You gave up your username and password at this point and allowed the third party to log your details and access your account.

No no no.

This is copied from my ebay inbox.......

Hello XXXX
    We have reason to believe that your eBay account has been used fraudulently without your permission. We’ve reset your eBay password. Any unauthorized activity, such as buying or selling, has been canceled and any associated fees have been credited to your account. Any listings that we removed are included toward the end of this email. We assure you that your financial information is securely stored on a server and cannot be seen by anyone.

Although we’ve taken steps to secure your eBay account, your personal email account or third-party listing tools may have also been accessed without your permission. Please change these passwords as soon as possible.

Once you’ve secured your personal email account and third-party listing tools, please change your eBay password:

Select the Sign in link at the top of the eBay home page.
    Select the Forgot your password link.
    Enter your email or username, and then select the Next button.
    Follow the instructions to change your password.
    Once your password is changed, we recommend updating your secret questions and verifying that the contact information on your eBay account is correct. For detailed instructions, please visit:
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/securing-account.html#secure

To learn more about keeping your eBay account secure, please visit:
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/protecting-account.html

If you have any problems changing your password, please contact us:
    http://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/eua?domain=Onsite&query=1386&from=ForgotPassword

We appreciate your understanding and thank you for being part of our community.

Thanks,

eBay

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.
  • theonlywayisup
    Forumite
    No no no.

This is copied from my ebay inbox.......

Hello XXXX
    We have reason to believe that your eBay account has been used fraudulently without your permission. We’ve reset your eBay password. Any unauthorized activity, such as buying or selling, has been canceled and any associated fees have been credited to your account. Any listings that we removed are included toward the end of this email. We assure you that your financial information is securely stored on a server and cannot be seen by anyone.

Although we’ve taken steps to secure your eBay account, your personal email account or third-party listing tools may have also been accessed without your permission. Please change these passwords as soon as possible.

Once you’ve secured your personal email account and third-party listing tools, please change your eBay password:

Select the Sign in link at the top of the eBay home page.
    Select the Forgot your password link.
    Enter your email or username, and then select the Next button.
    Follow the instructions to change your password.
    Once your password is changed, we recommend updating your secret questions and verifying that the contact information on your eBay account is correct. For detailed instructions, please visit:
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/securing-account.html#secure

To learn more about keeping your eBay account secure, please visit:
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/protecting-account.html

If you have any problems changing your password, please contact us:
    http://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/eua?domain=Onsite&query=1386&from=ForgotPassword

We appreciate your understanding and thank you for being part of our community.

Thanks,

eBay

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.

Yes yes yes.

You've been phished.

Viking is correct. You need to sort out your computer and remove any possible threats.

Then and only then, you need to change ALL your passwords.
  • MCGONIS
    vikingaero wrote: »
    You got a fake/phishing email with a false link that you clicked on the reset your account.

Nope. I went to my email inbox with ebay and got that. I am not dolly dimple.

I am really alert to scams. That's why I am posting on this thread. Don't mug me off though. I am not dolly dimple.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Perhaps the warning should be to always log in separately to Paypal every time.
  • MCGONIS
    edited 13 March 2017 at 9:33PM
    Yes yes yes.

You've been phished.

Viking is correct. You need to sort out your computer and remove any possible threats.

Then and only then, you need to change ALL your passwords.

HELLO?

NO I have not been phished.

I telephoned and the email was genuine.

See what is happening now is my post is being turned into a joke.

Please people on moneysavingexpert, watch your ebay accounts like a hawk. I am so protective and yet it has happened to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure