Any other depression sufferers here?

Options
124»

Comments

• Andrew_Ryan_89
    Options
    So, if one is suffering from depression, is it simply a case of seeing your GP, letting them know and they refer you to counselling?
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    So, if one is suffering from depression, is it simply a case of seeing your GP, letting them know and they refer you to counselling?

Pretty much. You tell your GP about the symptoms you're experiencing (you can bring a written list if you're worried you might get emotional during the appointment) and they ask you some questions and possibly give you the PHQ. They may prescribe medication and/or refer you to some form of therapy. GPs see this very commonly and they're used to diagnosing and treating depression.

Please do tell them if you have thoughts of self-harm or suicide - it's a significant symptom.
  • Andrew_Ryan_89
    Options
    Another similar question. Does getting treatment for mental issues have any repercussions I should consider? Is it something I may have to declare on a job application form? I pretty sure you will have to do it with life insurance, would this make the cost sky rocket?
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2016 at 4:53PM
    Options

Depends on your area...it could be a year long waiting list...and then the referrals are cancelled...for the next few years. Or they could just keep piling on different antidepressants for the next 40 years.

Yes, I'm cynical, tired and very depressed. I wish everybody well x
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    TE1979 wrote: »
    The worst part of depression for me - would be waking up in the morning, not having the motivation to do anything. A no care attitude towards life itself. I know an excellent place to chat for depression sufferers. If you are interested. I'll send it to you in a private message. It's open 24/7 with a safe, friendly community.☺

Please can you pm me this info
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another similar question. Does getting treatment for mental issues have any repercussions I should consider? Is it something I may have to declare on a job application form? I pretty sure you will have to do it with life insurance, would this make the cost sky rocket?

Hi Andrew, I was thinking of fostering but did not go ahead as thought with depression and medication I would not be considered. Holiday insurance goes up a bit, I don't have/need life insurance, get it with my work. I did get counselling and it did nothing for me. There is a web site, moodjuice, which may give you help, it is a national health site and different areas have different web addresses so just google it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure