I want to cancel my orange contract - HELP

Comments

• heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kurgon
    kurgon Posts: 877 Forumite
    I know it's a different company but I had the same issue with 3. I challenged them on th fact that tye were not upholding their part of the contratc that we were BOTH bound by. It did take some arguing but I did manage to cancel it. Bear in mind if they provided the phoine they will want it back.
  • drbesty
    drbesty Posts: 967 Forumite
    crazyguy wrote: »
    They will take notice upon canceling your direct debit as they will know that you are not paying for something that you are not getting.

Explain how that is rubbish advice then ?

Thats awful advice, Orange will pass the debt onto a collection agency, who won't give a monkeys about any problems with signal, service etc, they'll just want to be paid.

The OP moved house, Orange didnt move their signal, this gets discussed about three times a week on the forum
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    drbesty wrote: »
    .... this gets discussed about three times a week on the forum
    To be fair, this thread has been just moved from another board.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    They will take notice upon canceling your direct debit as they will know that you are not paying for something that you are not getting.

Explain how that is rubbish advice then ?

crazyguy - it's bad advice as this forum is littered with people who have done just that and, as a result, even years later, have been pursued by debt collectors and had their credit records trashed.

Just read through a few pages and you will see what I mean.

You are dealing with automatic procedures and processes with the networks and their procedures state if the DD is cancelled, you cut off the service, inform Experian etc and either sell the debt on or instruct debt collectors.
  • crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    you can reinstate a direct debit at any time,

My point here is to cancel the dd and then negotiate with the network about further bills being reduced and or the contract being terminated, I did this before and the network soon backed down when they realised that they could not get any more money, I am not suggesting let it go as far as debt collectors, in fact quite the opposite I am saying you are in a lot better position to negotiate with your network if you have canceled the dd, after all you do want an ammicable arrangement made from them and even if it is a reduction on the tariff that it is better than nothing and again a dd can be set up at another point.

Now tell me how this is stupid advice as you are in the driving seat and your network know that you are not paying for something you are not getting !
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker

Now tell me how this is stupid advice as you are in the driving seat and your network know that you are not paying for something you are not getting !

Why? because if you reinstate the DD before it next falls due, it is not worth doing!

If you don't you get your credit record trashed.

Please read through this forum and see just what happened to many, many MSE members who did cancel DDs. Cut off within days, some of them. Others, being hounded years later.

There is absolutely no need to cut off DD. You can negotiate, email Head Office, go through the disputes procedure and, if you win, get a refund, all without prejudicing your credit record.

In the end, these guys can damage you far more than you can damage them and by cancelling your DD, you put the law of contract on their side.

For all these reasons, it's a bad idea. But, hey, you do what you like and OP can choose whatever advice they wish to take.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 22 March 2011 at 11:55AM
    you can reinstate a direct debit at any time,

My point here is to cancel the dd and then negotiate with the network about further bills being reduced and or the contract being terminated, I did this before and the network soon backed down when they realised that they could not get any more money, I am not suggesting let it go as far as debt collectors,
    in fact quite the opposite I am saying you are in a lot better position to negotiate with your network if you have canceled the dd, after all you do want an ammicable arrangement made from them and even if it is a reduction on the tariff that it is better than nothing and again a dd can be set up at another point.
    You are not in a better position because you cannot control anything. They or their computer will just report the default to CRAs and trash your credit history. And they will sell the debt to debt collectors without giving you an advance notice.
    This is a very bad advice. It's a delusion about being in the driving seat. If you were lucky once this doesn't make the advice better than it actually is.
  • flateric81
    flateric81 Posts: 89 Forumite
    grumbler wrote: »
    You are not in a better position because you cannot control anything. They or their computer will just report the default to CRAs and trash your credit history. And they will sell the debt to debt collectors without giving you an advance notice.
    This is a very bad advice. It's a delusion about being in the driving seat. If you were lucky once this doesn't make the advice better than it actually is.

IF you will have no need of any credit in the future or any financial agreements, and the debt collection letters won't bother you it's good advice.
    On the other hand if you might ever want a mortgage/loan/credit card/ mobile contract/broadband contract it is the worst advice you could be given. Cancel your direct debit and the day after orange were due to be paid you will have a black mark on your credit rating. 3-4 months later you'll have 4-5 black marks they will disconnect you and then debt collector "Tim" will be sending you letters every few days.

if you have money or assets they'll get it eventually.

i would put repeated complaints through orange, ofcom and even hassle your mp about it to. enough whinging and moaning and they might get sick of you.

keep the DD!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport