Did you know? You may be able to drive someone else's car on your insurance.

Comments

• I have just bought a new car and have insured it fully comp. It allows me to drive other cars not belonging to me, 3rd party only. I havnt sold my old car yet and to retain cover on this car would be expensive, so it is uninsured. I only need to be able to take a prospective buyer around the block. My question is: Can I "sell" this car to my wife so that it no longer belongs to me and then be able to drive it 3rd party, bearing in mind that the car is uninsured? I have had a number of conflicting answers!

Steve
  • svijay
    svijay Posts: 16 Forumite
    Be Careful! I have always known about this cover and have used it. However when you drive a different car (not familiar to you), surely you are more likely to have an accident which is your fault due to a lack of familarity?
  • XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This thread shouldn't be on the money saving site, it belongs on gamblers anonymous!!!!

Martin I'm amazed! I'd be interested to know how much a days insurance would have cost to be added to your friends insurance.

Assuming the worst, you trash a mates Merc.
    There's no cover for his car, you owe him for the damage (for which he could sue if necessary) You've lost a friend, and have to re-mortgage to settle your debts, and that's not accounting for any injury.

Surely the prudent measure is to stump up a few quid for insurance!
    The ONLY time to drive on this cover is to get someone urgently to hospital (and then they'd have to be pretty popular!)
  • Yep, I'm with XRAT on this. Look at if from the owner of the car's perspective. For the rest of the year when they're driving it, they've got fully comp insurance. They then let a friend (who's unfamiliar with the car so probably more likely to prang it) borrow it for the day, on risk that if their friend fouls up they'll lose their pride and joy because there's only 3rd party coverage under the "other car" terms. It's like giving your mate £15k (or whatever) to hold for the day and hoping they don't lose it.

Strictly for emergencies only, or to meet the bare legal requirements on cars that it's not worth insuring...
    I really must stop loafing and get back to work...
  • Steveshine - No.

Usually it can't be owned by anybody in your household. Anyway that is a clear attempt to stretch what the cover is really for and you will find that the Insurer will not be very charitable in the event of a claim.
  • Dave80s
    Dave80s Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would say 'yes'. Surely the majority of people using this clause legitimately would be driving cars registered at the same household (e.g a spouses car).

One downside is, as mentioned before, you cannot tax a vehicle unless it has an insurance certificate. So you would have to insure it sooner or later.
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    check the small print of your insurance policy very very carefully. my father wanted to borrow my car for the day [his was being serviced] - under my new policy i had forgotten to put him on as a named driver.

his certificate specifically states he is covered to drive other cars - 3rd party only - but being the pedant he is he phoned to check. turns out in the very very small print hidden in the policy booklet - and nowhere to be seen on the certificate - he would only be covered to drive my car in an emergency. his being serviced and needing to get somewhere not served by public transport, not classed as an emergency. he had a huge row with the company, has made a complaint and been phoned back by the complaints dept, but still they would not budge [his complaint being it is not clearly stated - in the end he told them all where to go and took a cab] i
  • Robg_2
    Robg_2 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Just a small point that people should be aware of :

Under the new SOCA (Serious & Organised Crime Act) which came into force Jan 06, there is a provision for police officer's to impound a vehicle if not showing as insured on PNC (Police National Computer).

eg. I'm insured to drive any vehicle with owner's consent. I borrow my mate's car and subsequently get pulled by Police who check the reg. no on PNC. The result comes back as Mr Smith owns the car and the insurance shows he's the only permitted driver.
    Although my insurance shows DOC, if I can't prove that at the time, the Police can seize my mate's car and impound it, if they have reasonable suspicion that the driver's not insured for that vehicle!!! Which they would have if I couldn't prove it.

Explain that to your mate!!!!!!
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    XRAT wrote:
    This thread shouldn't be on the money saving site, it belongs on gamblers anonymous!!!!

Martin I'm amazed! I'd be interested to know how much a days insurance would have cost to be added to your friends insurance.

Assuming the worst, you trash a mates Merc.
    There's no cover for his car, you owe him for the damage (for which he could sue if necessary) You've lost a friend, and have to re-mortgage to settle your debts, and that's not accounting for any injury.

Surely the prudent measure is to stump up a few quid for insurance!
    The ONLY time to drive on this cover is to get someone urgently to hospital (and then they'd have to be pretty popular!)

I have to admit I was pretty amazed too. When I first saw the title I assumed it was actually going to be a warning about the dangers of doing this, not a mildly cautioned attempted at lauding the idea.

Without wanting to go off topic as such, I wonder how many people know that if you test drive a vehicle from a garage forecourt without a member of staff accompanying you, you may not be covered under the garage insurance but actually driving on your own extension clause in your policy and thus be liable for any damage you cause to that vehicle while test driving it. Our dealer assured me last time that he now had unaccompanied driver insurance to cover us for test driving but he had not had that the previous time and still break out in a cold sweat thinking about it.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    I recall however one lad I knew wrote off his hot hatch when he pranged another car at speed and the insurance covers only the "third party" i.e. the car he hit. He lost his own car (all be it in parents name) and of course his own injuries were not covered by an insurer.

(

His own injuries would not have been covered anyway, even if he had been driving the vehicle under comprehensive cover at the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure