MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you give up a £50 train seat for a pregnant woman?

Comments

• KateHunter
    KateHunter Posts: 19 Forumite
    Yes I would. I think I would feel more uncomfortable watching someone who was heavily pregnant stand, than standing up myself. I dont really think it is an issue of money more of manners.
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No you have paid for your seat she knows she is pregnant she knows to get a seat you have too book !

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • PeteW
    PeteW Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 May 2009 at 11:54PM
    Of course I would, and I'm disgusted that so many people wouldn't, clearly you've never seen how exhausting pregnancy can be - a friend of mine was still commuting when she was heavily pregnant and passed out on a regular basis as !!!!!! on the tube wouldn't give up their seats.

Crowded trains are dangerous places for pregnant women - a friend of my wife lost her baby at 35 weeks when a busy commuter elbowed her bump trying to rush past her. If people had given up their seat that baby would be alive.
  • :A Yes I would. Humanity is more important than money and some inconvenience. You never know the full circumstances that led to the need to travel.
  • nickinoo
    nickinoo Posts: 617 Forumite
    As a fairly heavily pregnant woman (who doesn't rely on state handouts I might add!) I wouldn't expect someone to give up their seat for me although I wouldn't be offended if I was offered it.

I don't know what I'd do if I was the person with the seat, a 5 hour journey standing would do my back in even when not pregnant.

At the end of the day we all have the chance to pre-book our seats.
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Of course I would.

I'm a human being. Not an inconsiderate oaf!
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • It's amazing how many people have apparently never had to travel on a train at short notice and hence not been able to book.... A bit of humanity folks please! Presumably some posters would be equally dismissive of someone who's clearly in serious pain from standing up - what, you didn't think to book? Well the suffering is all your own fault.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
  • Pssst wrote: »
    Incidentally,are these enforceable? I mean,if you bought your ticket on line and found someone in your seat who refused to move,what success or otherwise might you have in securing a member of staff to persuade him/her to move?
    I have found myself in this position. Got on the train, absolutely jam packed, people stood all the way down the carriage, it was clear my seat was taken. I got out of the carriage legged it to the first class carriage and sat in an unreserved seat. When the guard (sorry Revenue Protection Officer) asked for my ticket, I explained that as the train was full to capacity and the train company couldn't keep their side of the contract I was sitting in the next best available alternative. He shrugged his shoulders and clipped the ticket.

And yes I would give up my seat.
  • ecp98rjs
    ecp98rjs Posts: 6 Forumite
    I think I'd ask if she would like to sit down for 'a few minutes' and allow her to offer it back to me after a rest.

But I do agree with other posters that given she knew she was pregnant if she wanted a seat then she could have booked one.
  • If your wife was the heavily pregnant women, wouldnt you want someone to be kind enough to give up their seat???

I'd stand :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport