Delivery rights discussion

Comments

• Argos Outlet responded at the weekend to say the courier delivered to the nurses and doctors accommodation at the hospital where I work.
    I was not happy about this at all. The accommodation is nothing to do with the hospital now and is owned & managed by a private company. There are approximately five blocks of flats and they can house over two hundred people. Argos asked me had I checked there. Well no and I didn't see it was my responsibility to do so.
    They do have an accommodation officer but he hasn't signed for it. Argos are now claiming that's my ebay account address. No it certainly is not. I have never lived or worked at the residences and it certainly isn't the address on the despatch note. I've escalated it further with Ebay today but I'm really concerned they will find in their favour simply because there is a signature for it even though it isn't the delivery address specified.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Argos Outlet responded at the weekend to say the courier delivered to the nurses and doctors accommodation at the hospital where I work.
    I was not happy about this at all. The accommodation is nothing to do with the hospital now and is owned & managed by a private company. There are approximately five blocks of flats and they can house over two hundred people. Argos asked me had I checked there. Well no and I didn't see it was my responsibility to do so.
    They do have an accommodation officer but he hasn't signed for it. Argos are now claiming that's my ebay account address. No it certainly is not. I have never lived or worked at the residences and it certainly isn't the address on the despatch note. I've escalated it further with Ebay today but I'm really concerned they will find in their favour simply because there is a signature for it even though it isn't the delivery address specified.

But to be fair, the courier is not likely to know that.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • I agree that they wouldn't know that it's nothing to do with the hospital but it still doesn't alter the fact that it's been delivered to an incorrect address when it should have been either delivered directly to me or to the delivery bay of the hospital.
    The staff at the delivery bay of the hospital get daily deliveries from Yodel so why in this instance was it delivered to a block of flats. The flats address would look something like this Room No.1, Flat 6, Name of block of flats. Which is nothing like the address I gave them.
  • sjbrun
    sjbrun Posts: 470 Forumite
    I agree that they wouldn't know that it's nothing to do with the hospital but it still doesn't alter the fact that it's been delivered to an incorrect address when it should have been either delivered directly to me or to the delivery bay of the hospital.
    The staff at the delivery bay of the hospital get daily deliveries from Yodel so why in this instance was it delivered to a block of flats. The flats address would look something like this Room No.1, Flat 6, Name of block of flats. Which is nothing like the address I gave them.

Wouldnt it be a lot easier if you took 5 mins to pop round there and have a look to see if it is there?
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 May 2012 at 11:33AM
    I think we are missing a trick here; with the growth of internet shopping and on-line grocery deliveries - it must be economical to bring back the "concierge".

This could be a pensioner of other person living on state hand-outs who could be equipped with a flat and a storage area; plumbed with refrigeration.
    Their job would be simply to be there and supervise the deliveries.
    A position requiring the same level of honesty, but less physical ability, than a school caretaker.

Come to think of it, that was exactly the situation in a posh block of flats in Chelsea, where I had to deliver the drinks for a party, it is always a bit of a give-away when the consignment is wrapped in black cling film.;)
  • SADIE
    SADIE Posts: 527 Forumite
    John-Pierpoint wrote
    I think we are missing a trick here; with the growth of internet shopping and on-line grocery deliveries -it must be economical to bring back the "concierge".This could be a pensioner of other person living on state hand-outs who could be equipped with a flat and a storage area; plumbed with refrigeration.
    A position requiring the same level of honesty, but less physical ability, than a school caretaker.
    Come to think of it, that was exactly the situation in a posh block of flats in Chelsea, where I had to deliver the drinks for a party, it is always a bit of a give-away when the consignment is wrapped in black cling film.

Dream on, I deliver to lots of apartments with concierges, some are wonderful but lots believe they should be at the party not taking in parcels.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    I think we are missing a trick here; with the growth of internet shopping and on-line grocery deliveries - it must be economical to bring back the "concierge".

This could be a pensioner of other person living on state hand-outs who could be equipped with a flat and a storage area; plumbed with refrigeration.

Come to think of it, that was exactly the situation in a posh block of flats in Chelsea, where I had to deliver the drinks for a party, it is always a bit of a give-away when the consignment is wrapped in black cling film.;)

Concierges are a common sight in France and the rest of the continent. The position used to be seen as a bit seedy, but since the explosion of the technological age, it has become more professional and now has its own qualified status.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • ldonald101
    ldonald101 Posts: 43 Forumite
    I rent a property, not as tenant but licencee. I believe this gives us less rights. The organisation thet run the property state in their licence with us that "you will" and they "will try to". I have arued that this is unfair however, they take no notice. Part of their Licence is that if workmen don't turn up then you get a £20 voucher (sometimes), again, being self employed this certainly does not cover a days lost wage. Q is, can I apply the same principal to this as a you would with a failed delivery.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    ldonald101 wrote: »
    Q is, can I apply the same principal to this as a you would with a failed delivery.
    Nearly.

Have a read of the Failed Delivery article and all will be explained.
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Given that MSE is promoting the use of ultra-cheap couriers like Yodel and MyHermes, (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cheap-parcel-delivery) is it any wonder that service levels are dropping?

Fuel costs are rising, more pressure is being put on drivers, and more people are encouraging a race to the bottom of the prices. In short, people want it all for nothing, so is it any wonder that standards are dropping?
    Given that Martin is also encouraging the morally and socially dubious tactic of Robo-shopping (research in shops, but purchasing online) I can only see the problem with home deivery getting worse.

So please, feel free to continue to encourage this dirty, money-grabbing compensation culture that increases the costs for everyone who can take a little bit of self-responsibility.

Maybe Jeremy Kyle would be a better target market for the TV appearances rather than GMTV.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure