Feel so alone

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Popstess wrote: »
    I'm £26,199.51 in debt and hoping that it will be the last day in my life I am ever in this much debt. I feel sick to my stomach that I have just admitted that. No one knows and I can't tell anyone. Thank you I will do the SOA calculator

Hey, mine was twice that, I beat it, so can you !!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • £26,000 is quite a sum but nowhere near others you will come out of this it will take time, and maybe in time you will be the one on here giving advice. You have lots of friends on this site who are going through what you are going through or have been through what you are going through. Keep your chin up and keep smiling now you are facing up to the debt it will only get better from here on in.
  • Popstess
    Popstess Posts: 351 Forumite
    Thank you everyone I really appreciate the support
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hello :wave: you're really not alone. I have debt that is still higher than yours, but I now have a plan to reduce it, whereas before it just kept increasing month on month. Doing an SOA and then a snowball calculator based on the money available to repay debts really focussed my mind. It has given me a debt free date to look forward to and it spurs me on to make overpayments when and if I can afford it.

There are lots of challenges to join in - loads of lovely supportive people with great suggestions and ideas - keep posting ;)
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 18 October 2015 at 8:47PM
    Others have posted their SOA on the forum before so others can come along and see where they can help you cut back. i.e changing mobile phone contract to a cheaper one, cutting back on your electric use or shopping for groceries at a cheaper shop. That sort of thing!! Many on here have done just that and it has helped them to stay focussed on what they are spending on everyday things.

Why not set yourself a budget for going out every week and try sticking to it. You will be surprised what you manage to save.

You will get there in the end although it will take time and effort. Many have achieved what you want to achieve so I am sure they will be able to offer you plenty of good sound advice.

You have made the first step so well done.

Wishing you all the best.
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Swampy3k
    Swampy3k Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    popstess don't worry, I am in a similar debt amount to you and it's probably going to get bigger before it gets smaller :)

I used to use spending tracker and it really helped me to see where I wasted money, but it didnt really stop me from spending in that area, just seen a similar figure month after month. you should look at YNA (You Need A Budget) there is an army of devotees out there and I am a recent convert! it can cost money to buy unless you attend web seminars and try and get it for free but it definately helps change your perspective on your finances!.

all the best on your Debt Free Journey!
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Popstess wrote: »
    Thank you, I'm sat here in tears, and shaking this is the first time I've admitted my debt to anyone. That's true about"the joneses" no I don't know their financial situations. I have made myself a budget and using an app called Spending Tracker to keep on top of my outgoings. I feel so guilty and so embarrassed. I have tried to say no or I can't afford it in the past and been talked round I'm a complete people pleaser it it's making me ill I can't go on line this I've been such a fool.

Hi

You are definitely not alone, and it takes a brave person to admit they could have made other choices.

Guilt and embarrassment might be how you got here, but take away motivation and a desire to be debt free (DFD = debt free date). Se yourself some acheivable goals, - like no increased debt for 1 month. Join some of the dfw challenges (save £1 day, no spend days etc, and you'll soon get some self respect back.

Be proud to deal with your debt. its fine to say, 'thats not in my spending plan for this month', 'I'm trying to save a little extra for my pension/holiday/new car/tax bill/parents anniversary' etc.
    Or try - as the OP suggests, I'm a little overspent at the moment so I'll have to put that purchase on hold for now.

Work out what you want, what you need and what you can afford.

My version of the MSE mantra is 'do I need it, can I afford it, have I got something else that will do the job, can i get it cheaper elsewhere'. This works for me, although my current debt repayments are so low i'm hardly a shining example, but I am surviving and not increasing my debt, and most of that is down to the MSE forums.

And remember, we are here, you are most definitely not on your own. :D
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi Popstess. You have done the best thing ever joining this site. After all who needs to keep up wih the Jones? Best to be a 1st rate you than copying someone and being a 2nd rate them. Set yourself free by saying "No" when people suggest expensive days out (or have a few cheap ideas on standby), bargain hunt like crazy and then think smugly to yourself "How much!!!!!! when people brag about their latest "must have" Stick with us hun, it may be a bumpy ride but on this forum you will get the best that money CANNOT buy, that is support, advice, laughs and a few virtual dodgy hugs to boot." :grouphug:
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Treat the people in this forum as "the Jones" that you want to keep up with. Whether people here are trying to pay off debt, pay off the mortgage, build their savings etc... they are all supportive and seeing some of their success stories can be a great motivation.

Good luck :)
  • Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi Popstress,

Just wanted to say hello and as others have said you are not alone and finding this site will help to get you on track.

Many of us have been where you are now but with determination you can beat this;)

My whole outlook on money and finances have totally changed for the better over the last 5 years. It's a hard lesson but one you will be thankful for.

Take care and good luck
    Ellie xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family