PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

transfering existing mortgage offer to new property?

I have a mortgage in advance for one property - but have been messed around by the vendor so much that I'm looking for an alternative.

If I find something else and an offer is accepted, do I have to go though the whole mortgage process again or just pay for a valuation for the new property?

I rather like the terms of my existing offer and don't want to lose it.

Apologies for what might be a silly question - FTB so still learning the ropes ;)

Comments

• dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You may well have an AIP which is approval in principal !
    This means that the lender has agreeded to lend you £XXX,XXX amount of money based on your income and deposit.
    Now most mortgage deals have a time limit which means you must complete with in a certain time ( some deals last 6 months while some have a Set time ie 31-12-12.
    You need to read any paperwork that came with the offer or contact the lender to find out how long the offer has left
  • Lilla
    Lilla Posts: 16 Forumite
    Let me please clarify a few things here.

A mortgage process has various stages:
    1) agreement in principle (BEFORE an application is made to check borrowing potential based on income, outgoings, credit history and other details)
    2) mortgage application (when a specific deal is selected and the lender matches documents with previously provided information and carries out valuation)
    3) mortgage offer (after the lender has done their checks and confirms the borrowing)
    4) exchange of contracts (when the transaction becomes legally binding and typically 10% deposit is paid)
    5) completion (when the rest of the deposit is paid along with the mortgage and the seller hands over the keys to the buyer)

By the sound of melysion's post, it seems that they have a mortgage offer, not just an agreement in principle (otherwise they wouldn't be worried about losing the mortgage product).

It is fairly common to pull out of a purchase and use the mortgage application / offer on a new property after stage 2 and before stage 4. Indeed it just means that you have to pay for a new valuation and normally sign amendment paperwork prepared by the broker (or the bank, if doing it direct).

Finally, I would agree with dimbo61 - the mortgage offer states how long the offer is valid for, so you'll have to bear this in mind and complete (stage 5) within the time limit on the alternative property.
    I am a Mortgage and Protection Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure