PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Unshrinking Jumpers

When my partner washes jumpers (pure wool and others) she nearly always seems to make them shrink. She's tried many different types of detergents, including those specifically designed for woollen garments, but it makes no difference.

Does anybody have any tips on how you can wash woollens without them shrinking?

Or better still how you can unshrink already shrunken ones? (though I suspect that can't be done!!!).

Thanks

Stompa
Stompa

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    wash hand warm only in very gentle wool wash detergent. Squeeze gently when washing and don`t twist or wring. Lay wet on a large towel and roll up to take out excess moisture. Dry flat on an airer or lay flat on slats in the airing cupboard

You can`t unshrink jumpers although if there is no other option you could try pulling them about when wet
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I put mine in the washer on the wool cycle, I think its 30c with the persil wool wash stuff and never dry them in a tumble drier, made that mistake before which will never be repeated (my poor mango lambswool sweater, it was so beautiful, on sale and couldnt get another, perfect fit and only got to wear it twice! I coulda cried....)

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I agree with both posts above but I do both! I wash by hand and then rinse on the rinse cycle on the machine because the worst bit is getting rid of the soap ! This seems to work fine. Sadly shrunk jumpers have had it - no reprieve I`m afraid!
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for the advice, we'll give it a try. Annoyingly our machine doesn't have a rinse cycle!

Stompa
    Stompa
  • Joto_2
    Joto_2 Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    I was told years ago to put shruken woollens in a bowl with a good dose of hair conditioner to slacken the fibres. This may work if they are not badly matted, could be worth a try. I've also been advise not to leave them soaking for long, which can cause the fibres to swell and matt together. Unfortunately both these tips contradict each other, although I presume if the jumper has already shrunk you have got nothing to loose by leaving it in a bowl absorbing the conditioner.
    Look after the pennies and the £££s will look after themselves
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Stompa

How come your machine doesnt have a rinse cycle? I just put the stuff in I want to rinse and turn the dial round to where the rinse part of a wash cycle starts and then start the machine can't you do that on your machine? I've been doing it for years and its been ok for me
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I do mine on the wool programme in the washing machine and have no probs. The best results i have are with home made detergent - laundry 'gloop' Wool once shrunk will not re-stretch. The wool fibres are covered with a scale like structure and these become interlocked causing the garment to shrink.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I did see something once about relaxing wool fibres which i think involved soaking the jumper with a bit of borax in the water. I haven't tried it myself though. If it's really shrunk you've got nothing to lose
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How come your machine doesnt have a rinse cycle? I just put the stuff in I want to rinse and turn the dial round to where the rinse part of a wash cycle starts and then start the machine can't you do that on your machine?

Hmmm, you know I'm not sure. I would have expected it to be just another one of the pre-configured program settings. It doesn't mention anything in the manual about moving that dial once the machine has been started, so I've never given it a try!

Stompa
    Stompa
  • After doing the same thing to my favourite woolen sweater the other day I scoured the internet for a solution. I found a lot of negative comments suggesting that "unshrinking" was a mission impossible and i was about to send it to the charity shop. However, after more searching I also found a few promising miracle cures. The one I used invloved soaking the garment in a solution of luke warm water and fuller's earth for 10-15 minutes, rinsing in more luke warm water and then gently stretching the garment out frequently whilst drying. Amongst it many other uses, fuller's earth was traditionally used in wool production for removing animal oils and the article i read also suggested it was a wool relaxant. Whetehr this is true or not it certainly did the job and my XXL sweater (which had been reduced to a M sweater) is now pretty much back to its old self. NEVER let anyone convince you that it can't be done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure