Bus lane driving fines - Edinburgh Council?

BIGEYE
BIGEYE Posts: 191 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Are the fines being dished out by Edinburgh Council for driving in bus lanes legal and enforceable?
If my memory serves me correctly, some years ago the fines dished out by the same council for parking was deemed to be illegal for some reason or another. Perhaps this falls in to same boat?

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    BIGEYE wrote: »
    Are the fines being dished out by Edinburgh Council for driving in bus lanes legal and enforceable?
    If my memory serves me correctly, some years ago the fines dished out by the same council for parking was deemed to be illegal for some reason or another. Perhaps this falls in to same boat?

due to a date error if i recall correctly
    The simple answer is don't drive in the lanes during their active times.
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Good luck on getting away with fines in Edinburgh, they make a lot of money for the city and despite a recent confusion (they wanted only "their" service buses to use Bus Lanes!) I'm pretty sure they have everything belted up now.
  • custardy
    colino wrote: »
    Good luck on getting away with fines in Edinburgh, they make a lot of money for the city and despite a recent confusion (they wanted only "their" service buses to use Bus Lanes!) I'm pretty sure they have everything belted up now.

well it is really an opt in idiot tax.
  • BIGEYE
    BIGEYE Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Wasn't me that got caught, it was my son. And he thinks there may be a few more brown envelopes coming through the door.
  • custardy
  • Trebor16
    Trebor16 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    www.pepipoo.com will be a good place for advice on bus lanes.
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • custardy
    Trebor16 wrote: »
    www.pepipoo.com will be a good place for advice on bus lanes.

I find the signs at the side of the bus lanes are better.
  • BIGEYE wrote: »
    Wasn't me that got caught, it was my son. And he thinks there may be a few more brown envelopes coming through the door.
    Whoops, oh dear!?!? If he has genuinely driven in the bus lanes within the posted times I'd suggest paying the fines ASAP so as to take advantage of the 50% window. I know there are a few individuals along with some private hire cab drivers that plan to protest against such fines, but for an individual like you and me, well the rules and regulations are pretty clear!!
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Edinburgh Council have been noted for and repeatedly slammed for being as sloppy as anything with parking enforcement but I'm afraid I've not heard much wrong with bus lane/Red Route enforcement these last few years.

Saying that, I did get let off my one and only speeding ticket a few years back in Edinburgh because the new cameras and order may have been active but the roads dept were late with the changing signs over and still had the old 40 signs up at each end of a stretch that had been reduced to 30.
  • Trebor16
    Trebor16 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    custardy wrote: »
    I find the signs at the side of the bus lanes are better.

Oh dear, another sanctimonious holier than thou type. The OP asked for advice, not judgemental crap.
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family