PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Illegal Tenancy

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2016 at 2:30PM
    turnbull21 wrote: »
    I have contents insurance and the building insurance is covered with the maintenance company (the flat is leasehold), and its all electric, so no gas safety certificate is needed.
    * Is that landlord's contents insurance?

* does the buildings insurance cover tenants? It would need to be a landlords policy. Did you check?

* does your lease permit letting?

Since 1/10/15, new tenants must receive the 'Prescribed Information':
    * government leaflet "how to rent"
    * EPC

* Gas Safety Certificate if there's gas
    * smoke detectors on each floor
    * CO alarm if there's solid fuel heating.

* did you take a deposit? And if so, did you protect it within 30 days?

* I assume you've considered tax?

Have you read the links?

* New landlords: advice, information & links

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    How rude! Here's the OP.

Hi,

I have a mortgage with Woolwich (Barclaycard), and have done for the last 4 months. My scenario with work has now changed and I have now been relocated, and I have moved in a tenant under a 12 month contract and have found a new place to live (rented accomodation).

Being an honest person, I called the mortgage company to let them know of my change of circumstances, and that I have a tenant moved in etc.

They stated that under their terms and conditions, the minimum criteria for them to be able to offer an exemption to let is that there are no arrears (no problem) and that the account is more than 6 months old (mine is 4 months).

I told them that my tenant has signed a 12 month contract, and that there is no chance of me being moved away for more than 12 months, where I will then be back to reoccupy the flat. They said that it will be passed on and reviewed by their team who will be in touch within 3 days.

They used the term 'illegal tenancy' which I don't like as I could quite easily have gone under the radar and done it for a year, but it now seems as if I will now be penalised for being honest!

My question is, what do you think my chances are of them being kind and giving me the exemption to let for 12 months?

If not, what will happen next? I am seriously worried now, so some reassurance wouldn't go a miss!

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Jeez! You provide useful and (though I say it myself!) accurate information to someone and they go off in a huff because it's not the answer they wanted or hoped for......

Thanks for the record pixie - always wondered how you dig out deleted posts though?
  • Pixie5740
    A Pixie never reveals her secrets* ;)

*Actually it's very banal. The webpage will be cached somewhere. If you search for the page using Google, Bing, any search engine of your choice then if it's been cached there will be a down arrow next to the link and voila!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    There was something this poster wanted to hide from the Woolwich even before they granted the mortgage, if you read back into their posts.

Of course, like an illegal tenancy, it may have been nothing much......
  • Not at all. My original hold up was due to the management company not releasing their yearly statements and insurances etc to the solicitors, which you would have seen if you snooped properly, but thanks for your concern...

I removed my statements as I got the answers I wanted and the issue has now been resolved. Thread can now be closed if need be.

So I can now thank the people who gave the relevant links etc, of which I have now read up on and learnt a few things, so thank you.
  • No huff GM, as I just said, I got the answers I wanted, have read through the scenarios given and have learnt a few things, so thanks for your time.

No need for the clique or little comments, I've always thanked people for answering questions I have asked.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 October 2016 at 1:06PM
    No one forced forced you to relocate? No one forced you to do mortgage fraud

Now that you have told the lender, they may very well put you on a blacklist, lenders do talk to each other you know

http://www.nhunter.co.uk/

Your not ready to be a LL, you didn't even know the basics such as types of insurance and what you signed when you got the mortgage.

I hope you treat your tenants well for their sake.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • noobie247
    noobie247 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Well I have had to relocate due to work, something I did not envisage, i'm sure I am not the only person this has happened to. I have spent 3 weeks out of the last 4 out of the country on work expeditions, but hey, lets all jump on the bandwagon and just abuse the OP?

I asked an honest question, got sent some links, read up on what I was advised to and removed my comments as I found my answers, what exactly have I done wrong here?

Not ready to be a LL? Sorry, do you know what insurances I have?
  • Pixie5740

I removed my statements as I got the answers I wanted and the issue has now been resolved. Thread can now be closed if need be.

This is a public forum where people give up their time to help others. Someone in the future might find themselves in the same predicament as you are in now but would struggle to find this thread because after you got the answers you wanted you decided to delete your posts. It's bad form and frankly, pretty selfish. Not to mention pointless since it will be cached somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure