Boots over-60s Advantage card - major devaluation

Comments

• cimidyue
    cimidyue Posts: 11 Forumite
    Generosity is one thing, to insult their customers' intelligence by telling them a reduction in the benefit is an 'upgrade' is beneath contempt.
    Of course Boots Alliance could have cancelled the Health Club but they sought to avoid any negative effects on a lucrative market by deceit.
  • cimidyue
    cimidyue Posts: 11 Forumite
    The more I think about this the more angry I get, for the way that the bean counters at KKR - or whoever now thinks they 'own' the Boots brand - have systematically trashed a valued and respected institution. By moving the HQ off shore and earning the contempt of UK taxpayers, and now this cheap piece of profiteering thrown in the face of their oldest customers, these buyout morons are in the process of losing the most valuable asset of Boots - Trust. I'd feel sorry for them in their ignorance, but such unethical vandalism doesn't deserve pity.
  • Some of the comments probably OVER-estimate the value of the new lower discount for over-60s Boots Advantage in any or all of three ways: (a) A reward of 10 points per pound represents around a 9% discount, not a 10% discount - if one counts the merchandise bought with points, one receives 11 pounds worth of merchandise for a 10-pound spend; 1/11 = about 9%. (b) The merchandise bought with points does not itself receive points. (c) Boots Advantage points have for some time applied only to whole pounds spent; thus for a spend of 1.90 pounds one receives 10 points, which is just over 5 points per pound; for a spend of 90p one receives nothing.
    The discount can still represent good value - for example, on those items where Boots is either cheaper than Superdrug, or one cannot manage the Superdrug ten-pound spend within 30 days of a purchase for which one has given online feedback for a Superdrug purchase (no matter how small!), or there is no Superdrug or favoured local vendor nearby.
  • horsechestnut
    horsechestnut Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Got my letter today. I will miss my 10% off No7 make-up; especially good when combined with a £5 off voucher!!
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    I only buy in Boots when they have offers such as double points. The same items are usually much cheaper in other high street shops.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• MrsGrey
    MrsGrey Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ... I suspected that this was a reduction in disguise, so thanks to the posters who did the sums!:beer:
    No thanks to Boots, especially as has been pointed out for the blatant mis-representation of this as something to "look forward" to. Insulting. Sadly my nearest Superdrug is 15 miles away. :(
  • MrsGrey
    cimidyue wrote: »
    Generosity is one thing, to insult their customers' intelligence by telling them a reduction in the benefit is an 'upgrade' is beneath contempt.
    Of course Boots Alliance could have cancelled the Health Club but they sought to avoid any negative effects on a lucrative market by deceit.

While hanging on the phone for Boots (funny how long the hold time for the Health Club is today!) I'm thinking that the wording of the letter is actually so misleading that a complaint to ASA or possibly OFT is in order. They say " GET MORE TREATS THAN EVER WITH 10 POINTS PER £1" which plain untrue...
  • MrsGrey
    I have spoken to Citizen's Advice consumer line, who basically now field trading standards complaints. I stressed that it was the mis-representation I was complaining about, not what they are doing with the discounts.
    The guy I spoke to is going to contact Boots and also Trading Standards about this. So the more people who complain the better, I guess.
    The number is 08454 04 05 06.
    Oh I also emailed Boots - haha. Watch this space for their automated response. I gave up phoning after 10 mins wait.
    BTW Boots are still promoting the old discount on their website. Reading the small print, they appear to be removing their opticians from the extra 6 points, except for spends over £79 -- used to be all purchases....There could be more hidden changes.
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's standard retailing practice to give discounts or price cuts to establish a pattern and then withdraw the incentive. Yes some sales will disappea but the extra margin on the remainder more than makes up for the profit lost.
    They are entitled to do this but not to be dishonest. The only action the consumer can take is to withdraw business and if you do I'll bet you're in the minority.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • MrsGrey
    Yes of course. I have made the point to Boots that they can adjust/withdraw/whatever the discounts, just don't lie....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure