Wedding cake

Comments

• Emms
    Emms Posts: 956 Forumite
    The plain white iced sponge cakes in asda that you can get the pics put on do come in two sizes. I had thought about using them for our wedding as i think the total price is around £20 for both. You could stack them and get a nice wee cake topper and maybe some flowers to match yours and decorate the cake yourself. The Marks and Spencers ones do look lovely but there a bit more pricey. Here the link to them

http://www2.marksandspencer.com/foodmagazine/foodservices/food_ordering/celebration_cakes/index.shtml

Click on the all butter sponge link just above the pics to see the prices for them.

Emma :)
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    tescos do a nice white cake ..
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • maz168_2
    maz168_2 Posts: 107 Forumite
    Hi,

I live in Manchester. Getting married on 21st April!!!

I was thinking of a 3 tier cake - one tier maybe being a cream, one being choc and another being fruit. (To please everyone!!)

I’m thinking of looking into the M&S cake, waitrose etc and seeing what is available. I’m not sure where any god cake decorating places are though.

If you know of any good cake maker's in the area or any other advice, would appreciate it very much.

Location around North West would be convenient.

Thanks,

Maz
  • clairey_em
    clairey_em Posts: 196 Forumite
    Hello,

good luck for the big day, you must be so excited, it's so close!!

We got married last year and we very nearly had an m & s cake (3 tiers) they are about £100 for 3 different sizes and the pillars inbetween. They come already white iced with a bit of piping so you wouldn't need to get it decorated. they also sell, in the same section, things like gold and silver balls, so you could decorate it a little yourself. A friend of my mum's made ours in the end so we didn't need the marks one, but we got our florist just to save a couple of flowers to literally bung on top of each tier for a bit of individuality. it's minimal hassle, which is prob what you are looking for at this stage!

have a brilliant day, it'll be the best day of your life, know ours was mine!
    :j

x x
    Full time working mum to 2 boys
    DH Stay at home dad :)
  • squibbs25
    squibbs25 Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, we got married in May 2003 and our cakes came from M&S, i did consider buying from Tesco's but in comparrison i found it rather dry. The M&S cake, although dearer is a far superior. We hired a cake stand from a professional cake maker and suppliers (cost £5.00 hire and £10 returnable deposit) also purchased our decorations from same shop. (i had a lily spray on the bottom and a smaller version on the top, as Lilies were my themed flower), My step-dad put a little ribbon round the outside of the cake. We were very impressed with the overall product, looked very professional!
    My beloved dog Molly
    27/05/1997-01/04/2008
    RIP my wonderful stepdad - miss you loads
    :Axxxxxxxxx:A
    our new editions
    Senna :male: and Dali :female: both JRT
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    also try local cakemakers (ie not big companies lol)

we had a local lady make our cake 3 tiers all different flavours ,with sugar calla lilies and celtic knots on (our theme) all for £70 :) it was fabulous and there was no way i was going to pay the £300 i had been quoted for very similar !!!

it gets eaten at the end of the day lol so why pay more than you have to

the choccywoccydoodah cakes are fab http://www.choccywoccydoodah.com/index.htm but OMG i soooooooooooo wouldnt pay those prices

unless id won the lottery ;)

celebs have used them as well as "normal" people lol ,a friend of mine being one of them ,mad mad woman she is lol
  • Belair
    Belair Posts: 394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We got married nearly 5 months ago and bought a 3 tier fruit cake from M&S.
    Without exception, every one loved the cake and couldn't believe that it was store bought. I hired a cake stand from a local cake shop and a friend made the sugar craft decorations.
    A simple way to decorate a wedding cake is to ask the florist to make something up that matches your bouquet. Very effective and pretty.

Big tip!
    Don't bother with favours, I nearly went mental trying to sort something out that was cheap and looked good. In the end I scattered Quality Street sweets on the tables, they looked lovely and were eaten immediately. I accidently left an opened full tin near the bar and they were gone in minutes.

Congratulations and enjoy your day.
  • Even though we had a very expensive wedding and I didn't mind spending money on a lot of the other parts of the wedding, because we had a chocolate fountain, we didn't want to spend a lot on the cake. So I bought a 3 tier, (small, medium and large), white iced fruit cake from Asda at a total cost of £25 and it was absoultely perfect for us.
    It is the accessories that make the difference to the cake! The cake topper I got was £60 and ribbons were about £5, but still worked out a lot cheaper than ordering a wedding cake from a bakery!
    And even though the cake was cheap, it was delicious and all my relatives asnd friends commented on how good it looked and tasted!!! :)
  • Tish_P
    Tish_P Posts: 812 Forumite
    If you have a good friend who bakes, maybe ask if they would be happy to make a cake for you instead of a wedding present? It probably won't be as perfectly iced as a commercial one, but it'll taste better and mean more.

Cake decorating shops sell things called "flower picks" which you push into a cake, and they hold enough water to keep a flower fresh for a few hours - that makes for simple but pretty decoration.
  • My sister got plain tiers from M&S and decorated herself, something i couldnt do as i`m not good at that sort of thing :(

My friend, her mum and sisters made fairy cakes then decorated them up beautifully.

2 weeks is short notice for some places though so finding a stand may be a issue.
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills