Lloyds have frozen my account

Comments

• Cem2016
    Cem2016 Posts: 10 Forumite
    I do have another account already with Barclays which is running perfectly fine but I don't have any savings or money in that account. As soon as this is resolved, which I hope it is soon, then I will be withdrawing everything and putting into my other account.
  • ratechaser
    ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 October 2016 at 2:00PM
    I truly hope that someone can provide some practical advice for you here OP - sounds awful for you. In the meantime, can you arrange to have child benefit or any other payments come into a different account, so that if this does go on for a long time, you can at least access new money? Set up a new account if needed - with a totally different bank of course!

Edit -just seen your post re a Barclays account - suggest you have CB paid there from now on. Also, have you formally started the Lloyds complaint process that you can't access your own money.

And one other suggestion if you want to stoke the flames a bit - maybe contact someone like Tony Hetherington at This is Money, or even your local paper. Banks aren't exactly popular right now, and 'my baby is starving because Lloyds won't give me my own money' is the sort of headline that tends to provoke a reaction...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'd also suggest this and ideally stop any further credits into the account.
    MARTYM8` wrote: »
    My advice is - open another bank account with another bank outside the Lloyds group (Halifax, BOS, Lloyds - TSB possibly too) asap!
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    I'd also suggest this and ideally stop any further credits into the account.

If there's a 646 blocking indicator on the account, any payments in will bounce straight back again, so get any CB payments redirected to another account.
  • Cem2016
    What is a 646 indicator may I ask?
    They have told me that no payments will leave or enter the account.
    Living nightmare - I have made a complaint and they were less hen helpful and I have already made a case with the ombudsman but they said Lloyds have 8 weeks to resolve before they will get involved. 8 weeks......my baby and I will have starved to death by then
  • Ed-1
    Cem2016 wrote: »
    What is a 646 indicator may I ask?
    They have told me that no payments will leave or enter the account.
    Living nightmare - I have made a complaint and they were less hen helpful and I have already made a case with the ombudsman but they said Lloyds have 8 weeks to resolve before they will get involved. 8 weeks......my baby and I will have starved to death by then

A 646 indicator is Lloyds Banking Group specific jargon for "account block".
  • Cem2016
    Have you ever come across the jargon "Processing delay"?? That's what they have told me on the phone.
    Sorry for all the questions
  • Ed-1
    Cem2016 wrote: »
    Have you ever come across the jargon "Processing delay"?? That's what they have told me on the phone.
    Sorry for all the questions

Nope. Have you tried to make any payments online recently and had payments held up for checks? Processing delay could mean anything.

You could go into branch and ask to sit down with someone to see the notes, telling them you think you've got a 646 indicator (block) on the account and want to know why it's been put there.

Have you not received any letters?
  • Cem2016
    No no letters at all.
    I was in the branch the day it happened and they were totally clueless.
    I guess it's a case of wait and see.
    I'm guessing if it was a CIFAS it would affect my other bank accounts.
    I've checked my credit file this morning and it's still good and there is nothing knew in there.
    I can only assume that transferring money from my savings to my current account trigured it as it was working fine up to that point.
    I'm happy that they do checks but not to the point of restricting your life so dramatically. I just asked them to release the child benefit payment so I can get nappies and milk for my baby but it was met with a resounding no. This is not a fair process at all.
    I've been given details of a local food bank by my local CAB - can't believe I'm going to have to use them when I have over £10k in my account.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2016 at 4:53PM
    TheShape wrote: »
    I expect that an account with large amounts of 'cash' being credited and/or withdrawn would be the number one indicator of money laundering.

If you get picked up by the newbies working in the bank then yes ...
    For senior bankers they could easily see that If the money is coming and going into UK Bank A/C almost no chance for money laundry.

I have about £35,000 each month coming in and out from my Santander 123. I never get any problem with Santander.

But it was a problem when I tried to open a new bank account with Lloyds Bank and it were dealt by a newbie ... It will need the senior staff involvement before they decide it was not a money Laundry.

It seems to me LBG is the one in the front line for mistakenly pick up someone for money Laundry. I have seen a few cases like this in this forum vast majority come from LBG and TSB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure