IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye, Newquay, Tower Road

silentcow
silentcow Posts: 13 Forumite
edited 12 August 2016 at 6:15PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hello all,

It seems that I have become one of the many people to receive a lovely letter from the PE company with regards to Tower Road car park in Newquay. Basically their claim is that I spent 1m 27m in the car park and did not purchase the appropriate time or remained longer than permitted (standard letter). I did spend 1h 27m in the car park and paid for the 1h I was parked. The first 20 minutes were spent waiting for a space and the final 7 minutes spent getting my children into the car and nappies changed to leave.

I'm sure they have no interested in my personal story and even less interest in childcare being involved. The issue I take, and which I’d hope is going to help with a PODLA, is that the signage refers to parking tariffs and not time spent in the car park.

Anyway, I haven’t responded yet and this is where I need that little bit of help. Do I just email PE asking for my code? Or do I try a ‘soft appeal’?

What might be worth noting is that the ‘offence’ is dated 28th July and was received August 12th – although they have deceptively dated their letter 4th August and the envelope has no date of postage mark. I have read somewhere (section 9 of a 2012 document is it?) that they should have written to the registered keeper within 14 days.

There appears to be a bit of hassle involved in challenging this – and part of me is tempted to pay to make it go away – but the feeling I get from these forums is there could be a case to win.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES then appeal using the BPA template in blue. That's stage one done. Copy and paste, don't edit, don't reveal who was driving.

If/when they reject, you make a second stage appeal to PoPLA. Poor signage will be one of several points you will use in that appeal. Notice to keeper not compliant with POFA 2012 will be another. Plenty of time to read up on that once you have seen the first stage appeal.

Do not even think about paying these scammers.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • silentcow
    Thank you very much for the swift response! I'll get reading the forums and start drafting the content for the POPLA letter/email. Is it acceptable to post that in the forum thread before I email? Obviously with personal details removed.

Thanks again!
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    yes , post it in your own thread , ie:- this one
  • silentcow
    Excellent. I want this out of the way as soon as possible, so I've pieced together a draft in preparation. If anyone could add comment that would be great and then I can get it ready to send when it's needed. The only thing I don't have is my ticket anymore (which is kind of a big thing in the scheme of it), but my assumption is that it's their job to prove I didn't pay for the hour, rather than me to prove I did. I may be wrong!

Here's the draft:

I am the Registered Keeper of the vehicle and appeal the parking charge on the following points :

1) No breach of contract
    The operator is basing this claim on breach of contract for purportedly not making payment for the full period of parking. The operator has provided no evidence that this is true. They have simply provided a time that they presumably assert is the beginning of any parking contract and the end of it. However as this time is presumably recorded by ANPR camera :
    a. There is no evidence of where this arbitrary time was recorded. There are no images to relate it to any position inside or outside the car park. It is reasonable to assume that a driver would believe any requirement to pay begins when a vehicle actually parks in a parking bay, especially when other terms and conditions on signage relate to the parking tariffs. Therefore, signage clearly refers to parking tariffs – not time spent within the car park. As the driver spent 28 minutes waiting for an appropriate car parking space, which needed to be on the end of the row to allow the removal of a baby seat from the back door, then this time cannot be construed as time spent parked. End spaces in the car park are limited and on a busy summer’s day are often filled early. With a sleeping child on board, it was not an unreasonable assumption by the driver that waiting for one to become available would not incur a charge.
    In the case of Hotchins v Parking Eye 2014, a judge ruled that time spent circling a car park to find an appropriate space cannot be construed as time spent parked. In no way, therefore, did it obstruct or prevent the operator from making money from the spaces that were being used in the car park at the time.
    The claim that a fine in someway recoups losses is totally irrelevant as there was no parking space occupied and, therefore, no service being used. The car was not parked.
    b. The operator is seeking to impose a requirement on a driver to pay from the instant they enter the car park and for a time of which they are completely unaware. As the driver had no idea whatsoever when this timing was taken it is consequently impossible for a driver to know what time payment must be made by. Even if the driver realised an ANPR recording was captured they would have no idea of the time that the ANPR would be recording . Even if the driver had a watch, it and the ANPR equipment are not synchronised in any way and the operator provides no method for the driver to know what time they are using as the beginning of the charge period, even though their cameras record to the nearest second. This contractual term is clearly unfair with reference to UTCCR (1999)
    5.—(1)!A contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.
    It is impossible to argue that the operator is acting in good faith when they are imposing a requirement on the driver to make payment within seconds of entry, yet not informing them of when that requirement begins. This clearly causes an imbalance in the parties’ rights to the severe detriment of the driver . The term is unenforceable.
    Indeed, not only are Parking Eye failing to act in good faith with customers – they are actively seeking to punish their own customers’ loyalty.
    The British Parking association states “You may use ANPR camera technology to manage, control and enforce parking in private car parks, as long as you do this in a reasonable, consistent and transparent manner. Your signs at the car park must tell drivers that you are using this technology and what you will use the data captured by ANPR cameras for.” If the driver is unaware that their time begins the instant they enter the car park, regardless of whether or not they are parking, then this is a clear breach of this agreement: there is no transparency in the operating of this car park. The driver was a genuine customer and had they known that these were the real terms of agreement, they would never have stayed on the premises.

2) The parking charge is an unfair contractual term, not a genuine pre estimate of loss and a penalty and this case can easily be distinguished from Parking Eye v Beavis (which Parking Eye often quote).
    Payment was made for one hour in the car park and 28 of the additional minutes were spent waiting, not occupying a space, so no loss has occurred and the operator is trying to impose a penalty, attempting to enforce an unenforceable unfair contractual term. They are attempting to punish the driver for waiting to use their service. In short, they wish to punish someone who wanted to use their facility for the very purpose it was created: they wish to penalise the driver for using their car park to pay and park.

The contract being offered by the operator is a simple consumer contract. An offer of parking is made in return for a small tariff. A contract term that imposes a sum of £100 for a purported failure to make payment of a small parking tariff is clearly an Unfair Term. When the cost of parking for one hour is £2, a penalty of £100 is hugely disproportionate.

3) No keeper liability
    There can be no keeper liability as the operator has failed to comply with the requirements of schedule 4 of The Protection of Freedoms Act ( POFA ) and consequently cannot rely on the provisions of the Act.

The purported parking transgression occurred on 28/07/16. No Notice to Driver as required by schedule 4 of POFA para 6(1)(a) was placed on the vehicle. The first communication on this matter was a Parking Charge Notice with an issue date of 12/08/16 that was received by post. As this was delivered by post, the creditor has failed to deliver a compliant Notice to Keeper as required by schedule 4 of POFA para 6(1)(b) within the relevant period of 14 days (schedule 4 of POFA para 9(4)(b) and 9 (5).) Beginning on, and inclusive of the day after the specified period of parking ended, the period of notice was equal to 15 days. The parking company has not met the keeper liability requirements] and therefore keeper liability does not apply.

I look forward to your response
  • Redx
    edited 12 August 2016 at 9:35PM
    that is more like a popla appeal

the blue text in post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread is the one you appeal online with on the PE website, as instructed in that same post #1
  • silentcow
    Yeah, I've already sent the blue text to PE. The lengthy post was me drafting my POPLA appeal - sorry if I didn't make that clear.
  • Redx
    good start then , needs more work like no locus standii , poor signage , BPA CoP errors , NTK errors (if any) etc
  • SMART crumble easilly.

See post 4 on the newbies
    Illegitimi non carborundum:)
  • SMART crumble easilly.

I read this as Parking Eye not Smart
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    SMART crumble easilly.

Parking Lie at Tower Road, not, Not-so-Smart at Fistral beach.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business