Charter Savings Bank - Possible Data Theft

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Just out of interest, what are people looking to achieve by complaining, is it to pitch for compensation or just to sound off, or something else?

They obviously can't undo the theft itself so I'm curious about the resolution that others are envisaging?
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    For myself I just want to be assured that their security is adequate. If somebody can break into a bank and steal computers that suggests their security levels are not high enough. I also want to know exactly what security levels are on the computers software and servers. And why did account holders have to wait so long before they were notified?
    Banks should realise that these are matters of trust and let's face it they are not the most trusted of our British institutions at the moment.
  • eskbanker
    Primrose wrote: »
    For myself I just want to be assured that their security is adequate. If somebody can break into a bank and steal computers that suggests their security levels are not high enough.
    Further up the thread they're reported as saying that they're introducing extra security measures, which is one of those 'damned if they do, damned if they don't' sort of statements - good news that they're doing it, but bad news that they didn't do it before.
    Primrose wrote: »
    I also want to know exactly what security levels are on the computers software and servers.
    I would be both astonished and concerned if they divulged any meaningful information about this!

Anyway, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I was genuinely interested in what was motivating people to complain so thanks for your reply.
  • Primrose
    Regarding security on software and servers, I would be sleeping more soundly if they simply made a declaration that their security had been deemed by an expert to be at the highest level used in financial organisations and had been audited accordingly by an outside organisation. We have to trust financial institutions to employ the highest security standards and when something like this happens it just makes you wonder.
    2010 Posts: 5,351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Primrose,

Did you receive a letter from CSB and have you been offered Experian for a year and have you taken the offer up?
  • Primrose
    No, we did not receive a letter. We have a fixed rate bond with them. Their argument was that under the conditions of the bond no money can be withdrawn at any time during its duration and on maturity the proceeds can only be paid into the nominated bank account provided on the opening of the bond so it was impossible for any fraudster to access the money.
  • eskbanker
    I think the reference to not being able to access CSB fixed-term bonds is something of a red herring!

They are obviously directly responsible in the event that any funds were to be withdrawn fraudulently from CSB accounts (like Tesco were) but my understanding of the key issue here is that personal details may have been divulged which open up the possibility of identity fraud elsewhere, hence the Experian offer.

They've got round to posting info on their website at http://www.chartersavingsbank.co.uk/Data but it's unsurprisingly vague. However, it does say that those potentially affected are the ones who've had the letters, as well as clarifying that no bank account details were on the stolen PCs....
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I find it incredible that they aren't doing full disk encryption of laptops. It really is a basic measure that *every* company and individual should be doing.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    2010 Posts: 5,351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    eskbanker wrote: »
    They've got round to posting info on their website at http://www.chartersavingsbank.co.uk/Data but it's unsurprisingly vague. However, it does say that those potentially affected are the ones who've had the letters, as well as clarifying that no bank account details were on the stolen PCs....

We have a joint account, my partner got a letter but I didn`t.
  • I got a letter too. I have a 2 year fixed rate bond! As alluded to CSB say that bonds cannot be accessed as passwords weren't on the computers and any moneys transferred can only be between the bond and a nominated account. They also say that they believe it is extremely unlikely the pc's will be used to obtain personal identity data and that they expect the information on the pc's will be wiped to sell the pc's on! Why would they believe this though? If fraudsters are wanting to look for an opportunity and its easily give to them why wouldn't they steal a banks computers? It would seem to be a quicker way to me than ringing individuals up and trying to access their computers remotely!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure